With kids being back at school and after school activities in full swing I need dinnertime to be quick and easy. As a result, my slow cooker has been getting quite the work out. I absolutely love the feeling of throwing ingredients into my slow cooker, not thinking about it all day, then at 5:00pm dinner is ready. Perfect!
Not all slow cooker recipes are a home run so when I find one that tastes great, and my family enjoys, it goes immediately into the dinner rotation. Last week, I added slow cooker meatball subs, beef stroganoff, and Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dipto the list. Yesterday, I scored again with these slow cooker chicken tacos.
Using shredded chicken in Mexican inspired dishes is nothing new for me. I make chicken quesadillas using my Mexican slow cooker chicken and salsa chicken recipe all the time. But, as you probably know, you can never have to many shredded chicken recipes. At least I can’t.
I was inspired by this recipe when picking up a packet of Simply Organic ranch seasoning for buffalo slow cooker chicken. Next to it was a packet Southwest taco seasoning. Now I know I could make my own seasoning but the packet was right there, and less than $2, so I figured why not.
I sprinkled the seasoning over 1.5 pounds (about 3) of chicken breasts, poured a can of enchilada sauce and green chilis over top, and then add a little chicken broth. Again, you can make your own enchilada sauce but if you don’t have time then pick up a can from the store. This is meant to be an easy throw together recipe.
After it was done cooking for 5 hours I removed the chicken, shredded it, squeezed some lime on top, and then stirred in a little more of the sauce leftover in the slow cooker. I don’t put the chicken back into the sauce because I feel it becomes to “soupy”. I like to control the amount of liquid that goes in.
I served the chicken in taco shells with avocado, salsa, lettuce, greek yogurt, and a little cheese. These tacos were DELICIOUS! I loved them. And better yet so did my kids. Whenever, my kids like a new recipe I feel more accomplished than when I handed in my 80 page thesis and earned my Masters Degree. Not kidding.
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast about 3 chicken breasts
- 1 1.13 ounce package southwest taco seasoning (I use simply organic)
- 1 10 ounce can enchilada sauce
- 1 4.5 ounce can green chilis
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- Juice from 1/2 lime. Save the rest for individual tacos
- chopped avocado greek yogurt, salsa, lettuce, and mexican cheese
- Place chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle seasoning packet over top of the chicken.
- Pour in enchilada sauce, green chills, and chicken stock. Flip the chicken a couple times to make sure the ingredients are blended and chicken is coated.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
- Remove chicken to a medium bowl and shred.
- Squeeze lime juice over top. Stir in more of the liquid from the slow cooker a little at a time till you get the flavor you want. the liquid also keeps the chicken moist.
- Serve with some chopped avocado, greek yogurt, lettuce, and mexican cheese