Each week tacos find their way onto my menu plan. Along with homemade pizzas it is one of our go to family meals. Taco meat is super easy to make, the kids love it, and one of my favorite freezer meal recipes.
Beef taco filling, because it is so easy to make, is not a recipe I would think to make in the slow cooker. However, if you are going to be very limited on time and need dinner waiting for you when walking through the door then I recommend giving this slow cooker beef taco filling recipe a try.
I made this a couple weekends ago for one of my freezer cooking challenges and found it nice to have this cooking while I was running around getting errands done. Plus, in my opinion, you can never have to many slow cooker recipes – right ladies?
This recipe, as with many of my slow cooker recipes, is adapted from the Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook. The result was a very moist flavorful taco filling that was seasoned with spices, onions, and garlic instead of a prepackaged taco seasoning packet – it was very good and the kiddos loved it.
Of course, the completed recipe freezes perfectly but you can also turn this into a slow cooker freezer kit – I have instructions for that below.
If you are looking for another way to use taco meat try my leftover taco pizza. Yum!
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- ¼ cup 1% milk
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 2 medium onions minced
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar light or dark
- 1 14 ounce can black beans *optional
- In a medium bowl, using a fork, mash together the milk and bread until it forms into a paste. Using your hands mix in the ground beef, salt, and pepper. Set aside ** the bread and milk paste help to keep the beef moist throughout the slow cooking process.
- In another medium bowl stir together the vegetable oil, onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, and oregano. Microwave for 4 – 5 minutes. This blooms the spices which helps to keep the flavors pronounced during the slow cooking process.
- Add the onion and spice mixture along with the beef mixture into the slow cooker. Next stir in the tomato sauce, cider vinegar, and brown sugar. Without over mixing break up some of the larger pieces of beef.
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours. **Mine cook for just 6 hours but your slow cooker could be different.
- When done use a spoon to break up the beef into smaller pieces or whatever texture you prefer. If using, stir black beans in.
- **please note I used a 6 qt slow cooker for this recipe.
Freezer Cooking Instructions
This taco filling recipe can be made completely and frozen into portions. I use freezer containers or bags to freeze. Thaw in refrigerator then warm up on stove or microwave.
This recipe can also be turned into a slow cooker freezer kit by preparing the meat mixture and onion mixture (letting it cool) then putting it into a freezer bag or container with the rest of the ingredients. When ready to cook take it out of the freezer container and place it in the slow cooker and continue with step 4. You can let it thaw or put it into the slow cooker frozen just adjust your cooking time accordingly.