I needed this soup in my life. Seriously, it’s like the perfect weight loss soup. It’s delicious, comforting, low calorie, high protein, and filled with nutrition. Even if weight loss is not the goal I guarantee your body will thank you for this soup.
The inspiration for this stuffed pepper soup recipe came from what most of my recipes are created from…leftovers. Last week, I chopped up a bunch of bell peppers for snacks and did not get a chance to eat all of them. I didn’t want to waste food so I started to do some Pinterest recipe research. I came across this stuffed pepper soup by Taste of Home and decided to give it a shot.
I gave it a healthier twist by using lean ground turkey and played with the spices a bit. It turned out amazing. I couldn’t stop tasting it.
Here’s a step by step.
In a little olive oil, I browned the turkey until it was no longer pink.
Then I added the peppers, Worcestershire sauce, spices, and cooked until the peppers were softened a bit.
Next I added the beef stock, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes.
I gave it a couple stirs, brought it to a boil, and then let it simmer for about 25 minutes – 30 minutes. I stirred in the rice and let it cook for about 10 minutes or until the rice was fully cooked. I used 1/4 cup of dry brown minute rice. But if you have cooked rice available you can stir in 1 – 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice or ladle the soup over rice.
I used my Le Creuset 5 1/1 quart dutch oven for this recipe. This is a great pot for soups, chills, and sauces. If you are looking for that one special cooking essential, this is it. Here is the one I have but in cherry color.
This soup is delicious. Honestly, I didn’t know what to expect using bell peppers in a soup recipe. But I loved it. I froze the leftovers in 16-ounce mason jar containers for easy lunches and dinners.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 (15-ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup minute brown rice
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven, or large soup pot, and cook turkey until it is no longer pink.
- Stir in the onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and Worchestire sauce.
- Add in the bell peppers and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the beef stock, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cook until rice is cooked and peppers are tender, about 10 minutes.
This soup can be made completely ahead of time and frozen into portions. You can use mason jars or plastic freezer containers. Reheat on stove or in microwave.
Get Instant Access to My Best Meal Prep Tips & 20 Delicious Make-ahead Recipes!
Sign up now to receive your FREE ecookbook that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you!