I love soup. I really should make more of it. I find it to be so satisfying yet I never feel completely bloated after eating a nice big bowl. Not to mention it is really easy to make a delicious healthy soup with ingredients you probably already have in your refrigerator. In fact most great soup recipes I bet came about from extra carrots, celery, onions, and whatever else grandma’s had lying around.
That is kind of how the idea for this Creamy Chicken and Rice soup came about. All the ingredients were in my fridge. I originally bought them for another recipe – don’t ask me what cause I can’t remember. All I know is about 4-5 days went by and I needed to use up the chicken or I would be kicking myself.
Typically, when I have chicken, carrots, and celery on hand I would make Detox Chicken Soup. Hers is the best and perfect when you are sick and need some mama comfort love. But I was not sick and wanted to try something different. So I decided to whip up a healthy version of creamy chicken and rice soup.
Besides the canned variety I can’t say I ever made a homemade version. But as with all the recipes I have made in the last 3 years – in my opinion – homemade is always better. I did not follow a recipe per se but more so just use the ingredients I had available and took notes for all of you. I did get some creamy inspiration from the sausage and kale soup I made a couple weeks ago.
The end result was a flavorful, comforting, and satisfying soup. I really enjoyed this recipe and it was so simple to throw together. Now don’t be limited to the ingredients I have listed. If you have extra vegetables around and think they will lend well to the soup then toss them in.
Another soup tip I have been using lately is freezing portions ahead of time in muffin tins. I love doing this. After they are frozen just run the bottom under some hot water, pop them out, and store in a large freezer bag. When ready to eat take out the amount you need and warm up in microwave or on the stove. This is a great way to make ahead soup and I highly recommend it.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 – 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 pound carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 small package celery chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- grated romano cheese
- in a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chicken thighs and brown on both sides, about 4-5 minutes each. You might have to cook the chicken in a couple batches because you don’t want to crowd the pot. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same pot add the wine to deglaze pan. Then add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook for about 5 minutes or until fragrant and they softened a bit. While the vegetables are cooking chop the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Add chopped chicken, rice, chicken stock, and milk into pot. Bring to a boil then let simmer for about 20 minutes. Add in the salt and pepper. Give it a taste. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve in bowls and grate parmesan cheese on top.