This delicious crockpot buffalo chicken recipe uses five simple ingredients and is so easy to put together. Make it over the weekend and have buffalo chicken ready for salads, subs, and wraps all week!
This post contains affiliate links. I am an affiliate for Amazon Associates and other brands and earn a small commission on qualifying purchases. You’re by no means obligated to use my links but, if you do, thank you for supporting Organize Yourself Skinny.
If someone asked me to pick one recipe that I make most often, it’d be this crockpot buffalo chicken. It’s one of those recipes I usually make when I have plenty of boneless chicken breasts but not quite sure what to do with them.
I wouldn’t say it’s the most refined recipe on the blog. However, if you’re looking for an easy recipe to use in various dinners, that the entire family will love, this is the recipe.
It’s also the perfect game day recipe when you need to feed a crowd! Trust me, everyone will stand in line waiting for some shredded buffalo chicken!
Reasons You’ll Love Shredded Buffalo Chicken Made in the Crockpot
- It only uses five ingredients – All you need is boneless skinless chicken breast, ranch seasoning, hot sauce, chicken stock, and butter.
- It cooks in the crockpot – This is a hands-off recipe so you can focus on other things for 4-6 hours.
- It can be used in various recipes – With shredded buffalo chicken in the fridge or freeze, the recipe ideas are endless. Use this pulled chicken in any recipe that calls for Buffalo chicken.
- It can be made ahead of time and is freezer-friendly. Make this on the weekend to use in recipes during the week or freeze into recipe ready portions to use later on.
Organic boneless skinless chicken breasts – For best results use high-quality chicken breasts.
Frank’s hot sauce – 1 cup of hot sauce adds delicious Buffalo flavor.
Ranch Seasoning – When I don’t make the seasoning homemade I like to purchase Simply Organic Ranch Seasoning.
Chicken broth – Adding 1/2 cup of chicken broth keeps the chicken juicy.
Salted Butter – Buffalo chicken wing sauce is made with hot sauce and butter, so adding a couple of tablespoons of butter will give the shredded chicken an authentic buffalo wing flavor.
There are two secrets to cooking juicy, flavorful chicken in the crockpot.
First, you need to have enough liquid in the slow cooker to cover ¾ of the chicken. The top of the chicken breasts can be exposed, but most of it should be in the liquid.
Second, chicken breasts shouldn’t cook longer than 5-6 hours, and you should always set the crockpot temperature to a low setting. I know many crockpot chicken recipes call for cooking on high, but that’s too hot and will result in dry chicken.
These tips will result in juicy shredded chicken every time!
Hands down, the only Buffalo sauce is Frank’s red hot sauce. That’s the hot sauce used in authentic buffalo wing sauce. So, if you have Frank’s, then use it. It’s available in most grocery stores.
If you by some chance you can’t find Frank’s, then use your favorite hot sauce.
You can use boneless chicken thighs in this crockpot buffalo chicken recipe, but the result will be a little greasier because thighs are higher in fat.
I prefer using boneless skinless chicken breast in this recipe because it’s leaner and works better in other recipes that call for shredded buffalo chicken.
Don’t overcook the chicken. This chicken recipe isn’t one that can cook all day in the slow cooker. Like I said before, cook on low for 5-6 hours for juicy, flavorful shredded chicken.
Make homemade ranch seasoning mix. I love the convenience of a ranch seasoning packet; my favorite brand to use is Simply Organic. However, I know even the healthiest of store-bought ranch seasoning can have extra sodium and “not so healthy” ingredients.
Making homemade ranch seasoning is easy.
Mix into a small container:
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder (optional but use it if you can)
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Add the seasoning mix to the chicken and the rest of the ingredients.
This is a simple ranch seasoning mix recipe that I put together a few times with spices I had on hand.
Add extra heat after the chicken is cooked and shredded. To spice up the chicken, add in the liquid from the crockpot or pour in some extra hot sauce after the chicken is shredded.
Add cream cheese and cheddar cheese for a creamier chicken recipe. To tame the heat and a delicious layer of creamy cheesiness, then stir in 4 ounces of cream cheese and 1 cup of cheddar cheese to the chicken after it’s shredded.
Remove the leftover liquid, place the chicken, cream cheese, and shredded cheddar back into the slow cooker, and cook for another ½ hour or until heated.
How to Use Shredded Buffalo Chicken
Grab some crusty rolls and make shredded buffalo chicken subs. These subs taste fantastic with onions, tomatoes, and blue cheese or ranch drizzled on top.
If you want to prepare a low carb lunch or dinner then fill a lettuce wrap, or top a salad with buffalo chicken and all the tasty toppings.
Stir 1 ½ cups of chicken into stovetop macaroni and cheese, or make this baked buffalo chicken mac and cheese.
Crockpot buffalo chicken is delicious in:
- A baked potato
- Baked spaghetti squash
- Stuffed portabello mushrooms
- Lasagna rolls
Honestly, if you can dream it, you can make it!
Supplies to Prepare This Recipe
- Crockpot – I have this 6-quart programmable crockpot that works great.
- Mixing bowls– this Pyrex glass mixing bowl set has never failed me.
- Hand mixer – I have this one by Cuisinart.
- Souper cubes – These are my new favorite freezer meal tool.
- Ello glass containers – I love these containers for storing chicken in the refrigerator.
How to Make Crockpot Buffalo Chicken
Don’t blink because this recipe comes together quickly!
Into the crockpot, add the chicken breasts, and sprinkle the ranch seasoning over the top.
Pour the hot sauce and chicken broth over the chicken breasts. Using a fork, turn the chicken over a few times mixing the liquid and seasonings.
Tightly place the lid on and then set the slow cooker to cook on low for 5-6 hours. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165 degree.
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place it into a large glass mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer or two forks, shred the chicken.
Stir in 2 tablespoons of butter and ½ – 1 cup of liquid from the slow cooker. Use in your favorite buffalo chicken recipes.
Meal Prep and Freezer Tips
After the shredded buffalo chicken is cooked and cooled, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. I prefer to use glass food storage containers.
Cooked buffalo chicken can also be frozen. You can freeze into recipe ready portions using labeled freezer storage bags or freeze into blocks using Souper Cubes.
Crockpot Buffalo Shredded Chicken
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts about 3 medium chicken breasts
- 1 1.5 ounce packet of Simply Organic Ranch Seasoning/Dressing Mix you can also use homemade seasoning
- 1 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker. Turn chicken a few times until it is coated and liquids and seasoning are mixed together.
- Sprinkle the ranch seasoning over the chicken.
- Pour the hot sauce and chicken stock over the chicken breasts. Turn the chicken breasts a few times until the chicken is coated and the liquid and seasoning are mixed together.
- Cook on low for 4 -6 hours.
- Remove the chicken out from the crockpot and place it into a glass mixing bowl. Using two forks or a hand mixer and shred the chicken.
- Add in the butter and a 1/2 cup or so of the crockpot liquid to the shredded chicken breast. Mix the chicken until butter is melted.
- Use the buffalo shredded chicken in your favorite recipe.
Meal Prep and Freezer TipsAfter the shredded buffalo chicken is cooked and cooled, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. I prefer to use glass food storage containers. Cooked buffalo chicken can also be frozen. You can freeze into recipe ready portions using labeled freezer storage bags or freeze into blocks using Souper Cubes.
Other Buffalo Chicken Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Buffalo Macaroni and Cheese
- Buffalo Turkey Burgers
Or check out these other healthy crockpot recipes.
Have you tried this Crockpot Buffalo Chicken recipe? If so, I’d love for you to rate it and leave a comment below. We all learn from each other’s experiences. Also, it would be awesome if you could share a picture on Instagram and tag it #organizeyourselfskinny. I can’t wait to see it!