This Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken is a delicious and juicy chicken recipe that you can use in your favorite tacos, burritos, or enchiladas. It is easy to throw together on the weekend and keep in the refrigerator for a quick weeknight meal.
I’ve been making this slow cooker recipe for years. I shared it back in 2011 as one of the first recipes I learned to make ahead of time to have ready for easy healthy dinners.
I’ve made this recipe well over a hundred times and wanted to share some new tips and variations I’ve learned since then.
Reasons You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken Recipe
- It uses simple pantry ingredients. All you need is a can of tomato sauce, chicken stock, taco spices, and chicken breasts to get this recipe going!
- Cooks in the slow cooker. After all the ingredients are in, set it and forget it for 5-6 hours.
- It’s a versatile recipe. Use this shredded Mexican chicken in all of your favorite Mexican inspired recipes. The ideas are endless.
- The entire family will love this recipe. Even the pickiest of eaters will look forward to stuffing this shredded chicken into a tortilla!
- It is meal prep and freezer-friendly. This crockpot chicken recipe is my favorite to make ahead of time. It can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 6 months. I’ll give more meal prep tips below.
Organic boneless skinless chicken breasts – I use three chicken breasts that come to about 1 ½ – 2lbs pounds. You could use boneless chicken thighs too.
Tomato sauce – I use an organic tomato sauce that doesn’t include any sugar, additives, or preservatives. Make sure to read to the label before purchasing.
Spices – the spices used in this recipe create a delicious yet straightforward taco seasoning. Sometimes I spice it up with cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, or chipotle peppers.
Chicken stock – I add chicken stock to keep the chicken covered in liquid so it stays juicy and doesn’t dry out.
Leave the sugar out to make it whole 30, paleo, and keto. The small amount of sugar balances the tomatoes’ acidity out, but it’s not 100% necessary to the recipe so leave it out if you’re removing sugar from your diet.
Use store-bought taco seasoning – Grab a few packets of taco seasoning to keep on hand for times when you want convenience.
Substitute fire-roasted or chili-flavored diced tomatoes for the tomato sauce. This swap will give it more flavor and texture.
If you like spice, add a can of diced chilis, some sliced jalapenos, or a couple of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce. You can also use ground chipotle powder in the seasoning.
Add in a can of black beans or corn. A can of each will add flavor and texture to the shredded chicken.
Use your imagination and stir any of your favorite Mexican-inspired ingredients into this versatile slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken
11 Ways to Use Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Chicken
Have a healthy dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes using all of these ideas.
Quesadillas – our favorite way to use shredded Mexican chicken is to stuff a tortilla with chicken and cheese and then grill it using our grill pan. Serve it with salsa and sour cream!
Chicken tacos – If you’re bored with ground beef tacos, fill a taco shell with chicken and all your favorite toppings.
Burrito Bowls – Layer a bowl with rice, chicken, salsa, avocado, sour cream, and more!
Salads – Switch out the ground beef or turkey for shredded chicken in this delicious dorito taco salad.
Pizza – Top a pita pizza or homemade pizza with taco sauce and then layer with cheese and chicken.
Sheet Pan Nachos – Swap out the ground turkey taco meat for shredded Mexican chicken, and then layer your favorite cheese and nacho ingredients.
Stuffed taco sweet potatoes – Bake a sweet potato and fill it with chicken and your favorite Mexican toppings.
Taco stuffed spaghetti squash – For a low carb Mexican-inspired dinner, mix the chicken in with the spaghetti squash, cheese, taco sauce, and bake until bubbly.
Creamy Mexican Chicken – Stir cream cheese into the cooked shredded Mexican chicken and use in a burrito or quesadilla.
Taco Pasta – Use this Mexican chicken in place of ground beef in this tasty creamy taco pasta recipe.
Mexican lasagna – layer in this flavorful chicken for a spicy Mexican flare.
Supplies to prepare this recipe
How to Make Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
In a small bowl, stir together all of the spices.
Add the chicken breasts to crockpot and then sprinkle with the seasoning mix.
Pour the tomato sauce and chicken stock in with the chicken and spices. Mix the ingredients by flipping the chicken breasts a few times.
Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on low.
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place it into a glass mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer or two forks, shred the chicken.
You can shred the chicken in the crockpot, but I like to control the amount of sauce in with the chicken, so I shred it separately in a bowl.
Add ½ cup or so of sauce from the slow cooker in with the chicken. The last thing to do is to squeeze lime juice in with the chicken and season with salt.
Meal Prep and Freezer Tips
You can prepare this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken ahead of time to use in quick healthy dinner recipes during the week.
Store the shredded Mexican chicken in the fridge for up to 4 days. I like using glass containers over plastic when storing foods because it keeps everything fresh longer.
Another way to store slow cooker shredded chicken is to freeze it into recipe ready portions using plastic freezer bags or Souper cubers. This chicken can be frozen up to 6 months.
Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts about 3 chicken breasts
- 1 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- In a small bowl, stir together all of the spices.
- Add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker and then sprinkle with the seasoning mix.
- Pour the tomato sauce and chicken stock in with the chicken and spices. Mix the ingredients by flipping the chicken breasts a few times.
- Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on low.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and place it into a glass mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer or two forks, shred the chicken. You can shred the chicken in the crockpot, but I like to control the amount of sauce in with the chicken, so I shred it separately in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 of a cup or so of the sauce from the slow cooker in with the chicken. Then squeeze in some lime juice and season with extra salt and pepper.
Meal Prep and Freezer TipsYou can prepare this Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken ahead of time to use in quick healthy dinner recipes during the week. Store the shredded Mexican chicken in the fridge for up to 4 days. I like using glass containers over plastic when storing foods because it keeps everything fresh longer. Another way to store slow cooker shredded chicken is to freeze it into recipe ready portions using plastic freezer bags or Souper cubers.
More Mexican Chicken Recipes
More healthy crockpot recipes.
Have you tried this Slow Cooker Mexican shredded chicken? If so, I’d love for you to rate this recipe and leave a comment below. We all learn from each other’s experiences. Also, it would be awesome if you could share a picture on Instagram and tag it #organizeyourselfskinny. I can’t wait to see it!