Chicken salad is always a summer time favorite. It is easy to make, can be prepared in advance, and is used in a variety of ways (pita, wrap, stuffed in tomatoes, as is, etc). However, the problem with a traditional chicken salad recipe is it’s loaded with mayonnaise. 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise is 100 calories and some recipes call for at least ½ cup or more. As you can imagine this can be an issue for those of us trying to eat healthy.
Well I found a solution. A delicious solution. One that will never have you missing mayonnaise ever! I am not kidding. Plain Greek yogurt and a ripe avocado mashed together and mixed with chopped or shredded chicken breast. Who knew?! I threw in some spices and chopped red onion for crunch. OH MY GOD. Soooo good.
Here’s a video I made to bring this recipe to life.
This recipe is very versatile and you can play around with different flavors. I was thinking about adding in some feta cheese and oregano for a little Greek flare. Maybe a little chipotle seasoning and cilantro for some added kick. Yum! I also really enjoy the crunch from the red onion. If you are not a red onion fan then leave it out or add in another crunchy vegetable. Sky is the limit with this basic recipe.
If you were trying to figure out a way to fit chicken salad into your summer menu then give this recipe a try. You will love it!
- 1 ripe avocado, removed from skin
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon garlic granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ ground pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 small lime
- In a medium bowl mash together avocado and greek yogurt until smooth.
- Stir in garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add chicken and red onion to avocado mixture and stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Squeeze in half the juice from the lime. Give it a taste, squeeze in the rest of the lime if needed. I used all of the lime juice.
- Serve in a wrap, in a pita, or anyway you typically enjoy chicken salad.
This recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
Get Instant Access to My Best Meal Prep Tips & 20 Delicious Make-ahead Recipes!
Sign up now to receive your FREE ecookbook that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you!