This salad will be my “go to” summer salad for sure! It is absolutely delicious, so easy to make, and packed with lots of wholesome goodness. It’s one of those salads that you can make on Sunday and then eat it all week because it gets better with each day. But…you can also bring it to a party and I promise it will be the star.
Quinoa is such an awesome food. It is naturally gluten free, high in protein and fiber, and just packed with nutrition. It is definitely a powerhouse food. Not to mention is tastes great and works fantastic in a variety of recipes.
The last couple weeks I have been using quinoa quite a bit. Sorry if you are getting sick of quinoa recipes but every time I try to move on to something else I get inspired to make another quinoa recipe. I guess I just have quinoa on the brain. I promise I do have other recipes that will make their way to my blog soon. However, if you are a quinoa fan and looking for a new summer salad recipe then give this one a try.
To give this salad it’s Greek flair I filled it with feta cheese, cucumber, red onion, greek olives, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Can I just say I love chickpeas? Good, cause I do. I love the texture and bulk they add to a salad.
For the dressing I used Newman’s Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing. I was going to make my own Greek dressing but every time I went to prepare it I was missing an ingredient. #cookingintherealworld #Itry. Newman’s Own has a Greek Vinaigrette you could use too. Anyway, I finally decided to use what I had on hand. Personally, I love Newman’s Own Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing but you can certainly use any dressing you like. My mom wanted me to suggest Wegmans Greek Dressing for you. That is her favorite when she makes her mason jar salads.
A trick with this recipe is to start with ¼ cup of dressing. Mix it in with all the ingredients and let it sit for a few hours or overnight. This gives it time to soak in and “marinate” with the other ingredients. Then stir another ¼ cup of dressing in the next day. When testing the recipe this gave the salad the perfect amount of flavor.
I could have inhaled the entire bowl. Everything about this salad was so good. This recipe makes about 8 (1-cup) servings. Each serving is 288 calories and 8 weight watchers points plus.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 ½ chicken broth
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/3 cup pitted greek olives chopped
- 1 large cucumber chopped
- ½ red onion chopped
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing
- Soak the quinoa in water for about 5 minutes. Then pour through a mesh strainer and rinse under cold water.
- Combine the quinoa and chicken broth in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and let it simmer for 10 – 12 minutes or until the quinoa absorbs the liquid. Remove from heat, let cool, and then place in the refrigerator for ½ hour or so until the quinoa is completely cooled.
- In a large bowl combine cooled quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, chickpeas, feta cheese, and ¼ cup dressing. Stir until all the ingredients are combined and coated with dressing.
- Let the salad sit for 2-3 hours or overnight. Stir in the last ¼ cup of dressing and serve.