What happens when I have a leftover container of pumpkin puree? I start to throw pumpkin into everything. Last week I had pumpkin puree leftover from a pumpkin bread I made. I decided to use it to make pumpkin granola. Well I am glad I did because that recipe is OUT OF THIS WORLD! If you like granola than go makes this now.
I still had some pumpkin to use up. At first I was going to make a pumpkin pie steel cut oat recipe I made last year. This is a great recipe but I wanted to make something different. So instead of making the same recipe I decided to throw a couple tablespoons into some overnight oats. Overnight oats have become a new love of mine. They are easy to throw together, taste delicious, and no cooking is required! I am always trying new flavor combinations because you just can’t have too many overnight oat recipes.
I mixed 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice with coconut milk and rolled oats. In the morning added 1 tablespoon of chopped walnuts for crunch. I also add just a little extra coconut milk to thin it out a bit. This was sooooo good! I loved it. It tasted like a pumpkin pie pudding but made with oatmeal. I thought the 2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup was the perfect amount of sweetness but you can add a little more if you need to. I used coconut milk because that is what I had in my fridge. You can use almond milk, cow’s milk, or whatever milk you want.
If you are an overnight oats fan + pumpkin fan then I highly recommend giving this recipe a try.
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup rolled (or old fashioned) oats
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (or any nut you like)
- In a pint size mason jar combine coconut milk, rolled oats, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, flaxseed, and maple syrup. Mix until completely combined.
- Put lid on and store in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Stir and add a little more coconut milk for consistency. Add walnuts and enjoy.
This recipe can be prepared 3-4 days ahead of time. You might need to add a little extra coconut milk in the morning to thin out.