I know it’s April and I am still talking about pumpkin recipes – I can’t help it I love pumpkin and try to enjoy it year round. In fact, I love any baked goods that have the warm aromas of pumpkin pie spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice. In my opinion, it would be a crying shame to limit these flavors and spices to be enjoyed only during the fall and winter months.
This pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe, adapted from the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Cookbook, is my favorite.
I make a double batch every couple weeks – enjoying one, then freezing the other. My hubs and girls also share my love for warm spices and pumpkin so they look forward to having this bread available for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
A slice of this bread, made with 100% whole wheat flour and nutritious pumpkin, has 261 calories and is 7 Weight Watchers Points Plus. If you choose, you can reduce the calories even more by omitting or limiting the chocolate. However, if you are in the mood for a little chocolate fix this pumpkin bread will do the trick and more.
Please note that I have tried to make this recipe with reduced sugar and did not like the outcome. The texture was a little too dry for me. If that does not bother you and would like to use less sugar then experiment and see if you like it.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour ( I use King Arthur Flour Flour Premium 100% Whole Wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice *optional, I just love the taste
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extact
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (My favorite brand of canned pumpkin is Farmers Market Organic Pumpkin)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and allspice (if using). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric hand held mixer, blend together sugars and butter. Then blend in one egg at a time until all are completely blended in. Blend in the vanilla and pumpkin.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until moistened. Do not over mix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Again, do not over mix.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 5 bread pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes. Mine bake perfectly at 50 minutes. To check if done stick a toothpick or knife in the centerof the bread. If it comes out clean then it is done.
Freezer Cooking Instructions
This bread can be prepared for the freezer in two different ways. You can freeze it whole by letting it cool completely then wrapping in plastic wrap and foil then putting into the freezer. Or you can slice into individual servings wrap in plastic wrap then place together in freezer bag in the freezer.
To thaw take bread out of the freezer and let it thaw on the counter or heat up in oven or toaster oven at 350 for 7-10 minutes.
This recipe is adapted from the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking: Delicious Recipes Using Nutritious Whole Grains. I used a Cuisinart Hand Mixer to mix the ingredients. It was baked using a Wilton Aluminum 9 x 5 Inch Loaf Pan.