Lean ground beef cooked with some hamburger spices, ketchup, mustard, cheddar cheese, and rice. Then stuffed and cooked in a bell pepper makes for a new twist on cheeseburgers – the ultimate American comfort food.
My inspiration, for this dish, came from not wanting to make tacos (again) for dinner. I had a 1lb package of ground beef and wanted to make something different. I also had a big package of bell peppers I needed to use up. Combine those two things with a hunk of nice cheddar I had in the fridge and I immediately thought of cheeseburger stuffed peppers. All the other ingredients I had on hand so preparing this recipe was very easy. So easy, that I actually made this stuffed pepper recipe on a weeknight after work. However, don’t fret this recipe can easily be made ahead of time.
I used the same recipe for the ground beef that I use in my Grilled Cheeseburger Wrap recipe but just added a little extra seasoning because of the rice. Then I stirred in some shredded cheddar cheese, tomato sauce, and a little beef stock. It was delicious. I stuffed the filling into 8 bell pepper halves. If you want you can fill 4 bell peppers with this filling but I have found that to be too much. Half a bell pepper is plenty, especially when served with a salad.
These cheeseburger wraps were delicious, kid friendly, and perfect portion control. You get all the flavors of a juicy cheeseburger without the white bun and added calories.
- 1lb lean ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard (I used a spicy horseradish mustard)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup beef broth or stock, divided
- ¼ cup tomato sauce (freeze the rest)
- 4 bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook the ground beef till just a little pink, about 5-7 minutes. Season the beef with salt and pepper then break up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Stir in worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, onion powder, granulated garlic, parmesan cheese, ¾ cup of shredded cheese, rice, ¼ cup of the stock, and tomato sauce. Stir until all ingredients are combined and heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut 4 bell peppers in half and clean out seeds and membranes. Stuff each bell pepper with ground beef mixture, top the peppers with the remaining cheese, and line up in a casserole dish. **note I had just enough ground beef mixture to fill 8 pepper halves. Depending on the size of your peppers you may have a little less or more.
- Pour the rest of the beef broth into the bottom of the casserole dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until cooked. Serve with a pickle or some relish and enjoy.
These peppers can be prepared up until baking then wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen until ready to cook. Thaw overnight in refrigerator and continue with cooking instructions. They made need a little longer. Or you can cook completely, let cool, and wrap and freeze. When ready to eat, unwrap, and heat up in oven or microwave.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!