Blueberry and Kale Smoothie

Blueberry Kale Green Smoothie #greensmoothie #smoothierecipes

A year ago I never drank smoothies. Never. In fact, I am pretty sure I did not even have a blender. Today I drink smoothies about 4-5 times a week. I love them and always feel my best when I start my day with a smoothie.

Over the last couple months my “go to” smoothies have been my Tropical Green Smoothie and Strawberry and Kale Smoothie. Love them both. However, I like variety as much as the next person so I am always trying new recipes.

I started throwing blueberries in my smoothies a month or so ago when I noticed I had some – which I picked over the summer – still in my freezer. After those blueberries ran out I decided to purchase more and do some experimenting.

Check Out My Other Recipes

This is what I learned.

Blueberries are delicious in a smoothie. I found I like them taking center stage and not just thrown in as an after thought. Also, if you or your kiddos don’t like green smoothies looking “green” then making a green smoothie with blueberries is the way to go. As you can see in the picture the color is a beautiful purple and not a green scary potion. Nobody will know – unless you tell them – that kale is even in this smoothie.

I have made this smoothie with and without banana. The nutritional information is figured without the banana so if you add it in the calories will increase. I like it both ways. The banana adds a little more sweetness so if you prefer a sweeter smoothie then include it. I also add 2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup for sweetness as well. I did find that without the banana and/or maple syrup you could taste the kale a little bit more. If that does not bother you then skip the sweetner.

I love coconut milk in my smoothies. It gives it such a rich creamy texture that I really enjoy. However, it does add a lot of fat. Although this is good fat I know it turns off a lot of people. If that bothers you then you can certainly use almond milk or another milk. Whatever works for you – smoothies are very versatile.

Usually, I always add plain greek yogurt to my smoothies. Again, I enjoy the creamy texture greek yogurt brings but I always like the protein it adds as well. If I am out of greek yogurt I will drink my smoothies without it but I do prefer it. If you would rather have a dairy free smoothie then you can certainly leave it out. I have thought about adding avocado for added protein and creaminess. Hmmm maybe next time. Have you ever tried avocado in a smoothie? What are your thoughts?

Lastly, this recipe makes two large smoothies (about 3-4 cups each). I drink these as a meal for breakfast. If you are planning on having it as a snack then reduce your serving.

I hope you enjoy this simple blueberry and kale smoothie recipe.

Here are some of my other smoothie recipes:

Apple Ginger Green Smoothie

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie

5.0 from 8 reviews
Blueberry and Kale Smoothie

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 2
Ingredients
  • 3 cups frozen blueberries
  • 3 cups coconut milk
  • 1 cup kale (or more if you like)
  • ½ cup plain greek yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
  • water if needed for consistency
Instructions
  1. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend till smooth. Add water, if needed, to get the consistency you like.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: ½ of recipe Calories: 297 Fat: 9 Carbohydrates: 48 Fiber: 7 Protein: 8

If you haven’t already make sure you sign up for my email newsletter so you never miss any of my recipes, weight loss tips, and healthy lifestyle advice.

Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!

Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!

We will never send you spam, and you can unsubscribe at any time. Powered by ConvertKit

Comments

1. Jennifer W says:

You can also use raw milk kefir instead of yogurt. Just a thought. My girls love it in any smoothie.

2. Veronica M says:

I love avocados in smoothies. They really add no flavor but ver very creamy….I use a half of avacodo per serving of smoothie!

3. This might be a silly question but I don’t have much experience with smoothies…how long will this keep in the fridge? I am thinking this would make two quick breakfasts for myself if it will keep that long but maybe its better to make and freeze? Id love any input on this. Sure would be a time saver to make ahead.

4. My favourite smoothie has avocado in it!! It’s delicious and my 5 yr old loves it too!!
    1/2 avo
    1/2 green apple
    1/2 banana
    1 small carrot
    1 small celery stick
    2 cups spinach
    Chia seeds
    Approx 250ml coconut water

5. melody Burgess says:

Using maple syrup would not be a healthy choice when you have all the other ingredients to be healthy..you can still get all the sweetness by using Stevia raw without anything else in the stevia, and or another one to use which is great is xyiltol. You can have the sweetness without the guilt.

• I also like to use honey greek yogurt, it gives plenty of sweetness and it’s delicious!

• I add one date per serving (seedless, obviously). They are super sweet and low in calories (relatively).

• Oh, please. 2 tsp. pure maple syrup in 8 cups of smoothie unhealthy? Since when, and says who?

Guilt, that’s unhealthy, but certainly not something I get from this recipe, maple syrup and all.

• I am with you, Tim. Not liking what I read about Stevia and the chemicals they add to it. I’d go with pure maple syrup or honey first.

• I would much rather use the Pure maple syrup than any chemical sweeteners.

• Darla Bennett says:

Real and raw maple is much better than artifical sweeteners!

6. I want to try smoothies for my daughter but seems like a lot of work first thing in am…Didn’t see this question answered but am also wondering if this can be frozen or saved in fridge for a couple mornings so only have to make it once?
    Thank you!

• I put all my frozen smoothie ingredients in a zipper bag, my fruit I freeze my yogurt in ice cube trays , alls I have to add is my liquid. Big time saver for me in the morning

7. This looks delish! I’ve been all about the blueberries too recently, must be some vitamin my body needs in them haha. Here’s one of my fave green drink recipes: http://www.ivlproducts.com/all-day-energy-greens-drink/health-and-wellness/Healthy-Green-Drink-Recipes-for-Glowing-Skin.aspx – it has raspberries in it so you really can’t go wrong!

8. Can you save the second serving for the following day? How foes that work?

9. Tammy, how do you do your smoothies to go? I see the pic on Instagram… I guess just a mason jar with a twist on lid? Thanks!

I read an article on avocados the other day…. buy a bunch of ripe avocados, cut them up, flash freeze them and store. Pull out and add to smoothies whenever you want! We LOVE avocados here, but I never thought of adding them to my smoothie. My 6 month old just started purees, and avocado was her first fruit. She was eating her fix while we were eating our guacamole! 🙂

10. Have you ever tried putting tofu in it. You might try silken consistency. It would make the smoothy creamy and would only take on the taste of the other items in the smoothy since tofu really has no real taste of its own.

11. Tammy: Love your blog!!! Love this smoothie! I just started putting kale into my smoothies and I think it’s a fantastic addition. This morning I tried the coconut oil for the first time as well. I only added one tablespoon as the calories are shocking. Is it really okay to be consuming all those calories and fat in a smoothie? Also what are thoughts on cooking with coconut oil. Currently I am a dedicated butter or olive oil gal so switching is a bit scary. Any thought? Keep up the great work, love it!

12. Ok I have a confession. I’ve purchased kale twice now with the intention of making these and never got around to it (I have no idea why) and have had to use the kale in making stock or thrown it away because I let it go too long. So the question is, can I just swap out spinach for the kale since I seem to have that most of the time for other things????

13. Melissa says:

Just a tip, don’t freeze Kale, it’s flavor becomes stronger in the freezer. I learned the hard way and had to throw away large amounts of kale and premade smoothies with Kale in them. If you refrigerate for a day they will still be fine, but keep in mind the nutrition breaks down the longer you let it sit.

14. Hello, this may be a silly question, but should the kale be raw or cooked?

15. Do you mean coconut milk in the tetra pack that you would drink or coconut milk from a can that is usually used in recipes?

16. Are the nutrition details for all of it or for one serving?

17. Just wanted to say that this smoothie was AMAZING. This was my first smoothie trying kale in it and I am in love. I will definitely be making this again 🙂

18. Made this, except I used fresh blueberries and added about a cup of ice so it would be cold. Unfortunately, it turned out very gelatinous, so I ended up having to eat it with a spoon. Not sure why, but this is what happened.

• I’ve used this recipe…
      1 cup blueberries (frozen)
      1 banana
      1-2 handfuls kale
      1 cup almond milk or water

Always add more water if its too thick. I have never added yogurt to a smoothie. Doesn’t appeal to me.

• DB Elle says:

My smoothie with fresh blueberries came out gelatinous too….
      I came across your post trying to search for an explanation. I was thinking perhaps it might be the fiber content in the blueberry- it’s mostly insoluble fiber,… And I’m thinking it would be the soluble fiber , such as in oatmeal or chia seeds that would thicken it.
      Any luck on explaining the gelatinous effect?
      My concoction included dairy, frozen bananas, blueberries fresh from the garden, almond butter and a bit of choc syrup.

19. DB Elle says:

I like the recipe and all the pointers 🙂

20. Kathy Hart says:

Hi!!

I’m about to make your Blueberry and Kale smoothie. I know it’ll be yummy!!

Also, you asked about making smoothies with avocado. OMG they are delicious! I make several of them, but LOVE this one!

2 cups Kale or Spinach
    2 cups Coconut or Almond milk
    1 medium peeled avocado
    1-2 Frozen bananas
    2 Tbsp Flaxseed
    1 Tbsp Chia Seed
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 scoop of protein powder,
    2 cups of frozen Organic Mango chunks

I hope you try it and like it as much as I do!!

21. jwathas says:

This is an awesome smoothie and is very filling, not to mention super healthy. Both my husband and I love it and we like to make it at least once or twice a week. However, we do it a little bit differently. Instead of coconut milk, we prefer to use almond milk and instead of maple syrup, we use organic agave nectar because it’s an all natural sweetener and doesn’t have any sugar or other artificial ingredients in it, so it’s definitely healthier than maple syrup. It tastes amazing and is very cleansing. It’s also a great post workout smoothie. We give it 5 stars!

22. Tastes great even without the syrup. I used honey but it’s fine without. Great with cinnamon and chia seeds too!

23. Hey! I’m 13 and I was trying to search for some healthy weight loss smoothie recipes, as I’d like to lose some unneeded weight. This was actually great. Loving this smoothie it wakes me right up 🙂

Trackbacks

1. […] Blueberry and Kale Green smoothie […]

2. […] Blueberry and Kale Smoothie – Organize Yourself Skinny – 3 cups frozen blueberries; 3 cups coconut milk; 1 cup kale (or more if you like) ½ cup plain greek yogurt; 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup; water if needed for consistency […]

Share Your Thoughts