This Super Green Smoothie is delicious, easy to make, gut-healing, and will give you a massive burst of energy! Make this green smoothie a daily healthy habit, and get ready to feel amazing!
This post includes affiliate links. I’m an affiliate for Amazon and other brands I love and use. If you use one of my affiliate links to make a purchase I will make a small commission. You’re by no means obligated to use my links but, if you do, thank you so much for supporting Organize Yourself Skinny.
Last summer, I discovered a green juice from Whole Foods. I was having some gut issues and this juice not only helped soothe my stomach, but it helped reset some bad eating habits that snuck back in.
Not to mention these green juices taste good! I’m not going to lie, I was a little surprised, I was expecting the juice to taste like liquid dirt.
But the green juice was actually very good. It wasn’t overly sweet and had a freshness I loved.
These green juices became my new obsession.
The only issue is that a bottle of cold-pressed Whole Foods green juice costs $7! Yikes! Sure, $7 isn’t the end of the world, but if I want a bottle every day, I’m looking to spend $200+ a month.
Unfortunately, that’s out of my price range.
So, I created a version of my own.
Since I don’t own a juicer, I decided to make a green smoothie that mimics my favorite Whole Foods green juice.
This super green smoothie is delicious! It’s filled with vegetables but includes the perfect amount of sweetness from the pear and kiwi. The squirt of lemon juice gives it a refreshing brightness.
I love this green smoothie more than my favorite Whole Foods juice!
Reasons You’ll Love This Super Green Smoothie.
- It significantly increases your daily amount of fruits and vegetables – If you struggle to get in enough fruits and vegetables, this smoothie is the solution! You’ll consume 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables in each smoothie.
- It keep the pipes moving – Sorry if this is TMI, but it’s the truth. Green smoothies help you poop! They are filled with fiber and also keep your body hydrated. Both are important to maintaining the pipes.
- It keeps you energized and focused – If you struggle with brain fog or feeling tired all the time, then adding a green smoothie into your daily routine can help.
- You can prepared smoothie ingredients ahead of time – Having green smoothie ingredients ready ahead of time makes it easy to blend a healthy breakfast every morning. I’ll provide more meal prep tips below.
Ingredients For My Favorite Super Green Smoothie Recipe
- Pear – I used a medium-sized ripe Barlett pear, but any pear will work great in this recipe. Pears have a subtle flavor while still adding a nice amount of sweetness. If you don’t want to use a pear, then any apple will work.
- Kiwi – Kiwi isn’t a fruit that I purchase often, but it adds great flavor to this green smoothie recipe.
- Cucumber – Cucumber is one of my favorite vegetables to add to smoothies because you get all of the nutritional benefits without adding a lot of flavor. I use one small (baby) cucumber. If all you can find are large cucumbers, then use a 3-inch chunk.
- Celery Stalk – Celery has outstanding gut-healing qualities and is also super good for your skin. However, it’s very fibrous and has a more robust flavor, so a little will go a long way. I use a 3-4 inch celery stalk per smoothie.
- Ginger – Ginger is also known to soothe stomach issues. Again, a little goes a long way, so I added only a small ½ inch slice of peeled ginger.
- Lemon – Don’t skip the lemon. The lemon flavor balances out all of the other ingredients and adds a delicious brightness to the smoothie. It also is excellent for digestive health and is known to prevent kidney stones, and supports heart health.
- Baby Spinach – Any green could work in this green smoothie, but baby spinach is my green of choice because of its milder flavor. It doesn’t overpower any of the other ingredients.
- Chia Seeds – This superfood adds a kick of protein, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, and antioxidants.
- Coconut water – This helps with hydration.
Tips for the perfect super green smoothie
Start with baby spinach – If you’re a beginner smoothie drinker, then starting with baby spinach is the right choice. Baby spinach has a much milder flavor and not as fibrous as kale or other greens, so it blends better with the other ingredients.
Blend leafy greens first – Adding greens to the blender first will help break them down better and reduce the likelihood of getting chunks of greens in your smoothie.
However, If you own a high-speed blender, it won’t matter when the greens go in because most powerful blenders do an excellent job of blending greens into a smoothie.
Use frozen fruits. Frozen fruits create that cold, slushy, and creamy texture that you’d expect with a smoothie. Fresh fruits are fine to use, but you’ll need to add ice cubes to get it cold.
Chop up the fruits and vegetables before adding them to the blender. If you’re worried about a chunky smoothie, chopping up all the fruits and vegetables before adding them to the blender will help.
Purchase organic fruits and vegetables. To create the healthiest green smoothie free of any additives or pesticides, use only organic fruits and vegetables.
The riper the fruit is, the sweeter the smoothie. To create a green smoothie that’s naturally sweet, make sure all the fruit is ripe. A ripe fruit is softer and possibly has brown spots. It only has about 1-2 more days of shelf life left.
Pro tip: If you’re not going to use ripe fruit or vegetables before spoiling, then freeze them. All you have to do is cut it up and store it in a freezer bag. Then throw the frozen fruits and veggies into a blender when you’re ready for a smoothie.
Berries will turn a smoothie brown. Using berries won’t make the green smoothie taste bad, but it will look less appealing. So, if you want a bright green smoothie, then stick with green or light-colored fruits.
Use apples instead of pear. Using apple will give the smoothie more of a sweeter flavor. I prefer Gala and Fuji apples, but any apple will work.
Add mango or banana for a creamy smoothie. I left banana out of this green smoothie because I wanted to keep the sugars down. However, if you want a creamier, sweeter smoothie, then add in banana or mango.
Use almond milk or other non-dairy milk. In this super green smoothie recipe, I decide to use coconut water, but if you prefer a creamy smoothie, any non-dairy milk will blend in nicely.
To keep this a gut-healing smoothie, I do recommend sticking with plant-based milk and ingredients.
Add in other superfoods. Smoothies are one of the best ways to get superfoods in your diet. I love adding chia seeds, but you can also use hemp seeds, hemp hearts, flaxseeds, coconut oil, or other superfoods.
Add protein powders. If you want extra protein, consider adding a scoop of plant-based protein powder to your smoothie. You can also add a tablespoon of peanut butter or other nut butters for extra protein.
How to Make a Super Green Smoothie
Preparing a super green smoothie is super easy!
Start by getting all of the ingredients together.
Then add everything into a blender and blend until you get the desired consistency. Again, if you’re concerned about chunky greens, then add those in first.
If you’re using all fresh fruits and veggies, add in 1-cup of ice for a chilled smoothie.
Pour into a glass and enjoy.
Supplies to Prepare a Super Green Smoothie
- High-speed blender – I’ve owned a Vitamix for close to 10 years, and it’s still going strong. If you plan to make smoothies regularly, I recommend investing in a high-quality blender. If a Vitamix is too pricey, then check out my recommendation for the best blenders for smoothies.
- Glass tumbler – I often use a 32-ounce mason jar for drinking smoothies. I also have this 18-ounce Ello glass tumbler.
- Reusable straws – These Ello reusable straws work fantastic for smoothies.
- Straw cleaner – Definitely grab a straw cleaner to keep those straws clean.
- 20-ounce Yeti tumbler – I love using my Yeti tumbler to keep smoothies cold on the go.
- Reusable silicone bags – These bags come in handy when putting together freezer smoothie kits.
How to meal prep green smoothies
Create smoothie freezer kits – this is my favorite way to prep smoothies ahead of time. I put all of the ingredients into a freezer bag, label, and freeze. I recommend placing the components that you want to blend first into the bag.
Store in mason jars for 1-2 days. If you don’t want to break out the blender every day, storing blended smoothies in the refrigerator is helpful.
Keep in mind that the flavor won’t necessarily change, but the texture will. When I store blended smoothies in the refrigerator, I’ll give it a couple of shakes before drinking.
Super Green Smoothie
- 1 medium bartlett pear cored and chopped
- 1 kiwi peeled and chopped
- 1 baby cucumber chopped
- 1 3-4 inch celery stalk chopped
- 1/2 inch slice of ginger peeled
- 1/2 of lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup coconut water unsweetened
- In a high-speed blender, add all of the ingredients and blend until smooth. If the smoothie is too thick then add in additional water until you get the desired consistency.
How to meal prep green smoothiesCreate smoothie freezer kits – this is my favorite way to prep smoothies ahead of time. I put all of the ingredients into a freezer bag, label, and freeze. I recommend placing the components that you want to blend first into the bag. Store in mason jars for 1-2 days. If you don’t want to break out the blender every day, storing blended smoothies in the refrigerator is helpful. Keep in mind that the flavor won’t necessarily change, but the texture will. When I store blended smoothies in the refrigerator, I’ll give it a couple of shakes before drinking it.
Other Healthy Smoothie Recipes
- Triple Berry Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Yogurt Smoothie
- Mango Smoothie
- Detox Smoothie
- Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
- Spinach Smoothie
Have you tried this smoothie recipe? If so, I’d love for you to rate this recipe and leave a comment below. We all learn from each other’s experiences. Also, it would be awesome if you could share a picture on Instagram and tag it #organizeyourselfskinny. I can’t wait to see it!