Now that summer is here I am craving my go to “hot weather” breakfast – overnight oats. I do enjoy overnight oats all year round but, to me, they are especially good on 80-degree humid days. Admittedly, I don’t always enjoy them for breakfast. Overnight oats are good for lunch, snacks, and even for dessert – especially when I throw in some chocolate.
Enter my new banana and chocolate overnight oats recipe. This recipe is rich, chocolaty, and delicious. There is just something about bananas and chocolate together. You feel good because its fruit but then you are like hmmm should I feel guilty because there’s chocolate too. Well you don’t need to feel guilty when enjoying both of these foods in overnight oats. Nope. Instead you can feel pretty good about it because you get the decadent flavors of chocolate and bananas but with all the nutrition from wholesome oats, chia seeds, and coconut milk.
When making this recipe it works best if the banana is on the ripe side. This lends more banana flavor and sweetness. Also, I only needed ½ of a banana for this recipe. If you are making more than one jar then extra banana won’t be an issue. However, if it is you can freeze the banana for a smoothie or future recipe.
I use unsweetened coconut milk often in my overnight oats recipes. Mostly, that’s what I have on hand in my refrigerator. But you can use any milk. I start each recipe with ½ cup of milk. In the morning, if it is too thick, I will just stir in a little more until I get the consistency I want.
Give this recipe a try if you are looking for something chocolaty and sweet to curb a sweet tooth craving. Each jar will last up to 3 days so it is a perfect make-ahead meal or snack. And plan to stay full for awhile because each jar has 284 calories, 9 grams of fiber, and 8 grams of protein.
Here’s a quick video I put together to bring this recipe to life.
If you have questions about overnight oats see my detailed tutorial here.
If you would rather see these ingredients baked then check out my banana and chocolate chip baked oatmeal cups.
I use Ball Pint Size Wide Mouth Mason Jars for this recipe.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 banana peeled and chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup
- In a pint size mason jar combine rolled oats, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and chia seeds. Stir in pure vanilla extract, coconut milk, and banana. Put the lid on and place in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, give the oats a stir. Add in pure maple syrup, if needed, for additional sweetness. Add a little more coconut milk, if needed, to loosen it up and until you get the consistency you want.