Vanilla overnight oats is a healthy breakfast recipe that’s sure to become your new favorite. All you need to do is quickly fill up a mason jar using basic pantry ingredients, then let the oats sit in the refrigerator overnight. When you wake up, a delicious breakfast is ready! Trust me, you will love overnight oats!
This post includes affiliate links. I’m an affiliate for Amazon and other brands I love and use. If you use one of my affiliate links to make a purchase I will make a small commission. You’re by no means obligated to use my links but, if you do, thank you so much for supporting Organize Yourself Skinny.
It’s no secret that I’m borderline obsessed with overnight oats. Yup, and this vanilla overnight oats recipe takes the cake.
It’s creamy, delicious, and the perfect base for all kinds of toppings. Drizzle with maple syrup and keep it easy or top it with fruit, nuts, and shredded coconut when you crave a little extra.
This is the basic breakfast recipe you didn’t even know you needed. But, after one bite you’ll never look back.
Reasons You’ll Love This Recipe
- Uses pantry ingredients – If you keep your kitchen stocked with basic overnight oats ingredients this recipe will come together quickly any day of the week.
- Gluten-free – All of the ingredients used in this vanilla overnight oats recipe are naturally gluten-free.
- Cheap, Easy, and Healthy – Overnight oats ingredients are super affordable, throwing a jar together takes less than 5 minutes, and each bowl is filled with protein, fiber, and wholesome whole grains. If you’re trying to save money while eating healthier this is the recipe!
- Can be made ahead of time – Prep 3-4 jars on Sunday to have a healthy breakfast ready all week.
- Rolled Oats – also called old-fashioned oats can be found in the oatmeal or bulk section of the grocery store. Like I said, oats are naturally gluten-free but there can be some cross-contamination so, if this is important to you, check the bag to make sure the oats are certified gluten-free.
- Almond Milk – Any non-dairy or dairy milk will work.
- Vanilla Greek Yogurt – The vanilla Greek Yogurt makes this recipe super creamy and gives it a strong vanilla flavor, which is delicious.
- You can also use plain yogurt to reduce the amount of sugar.
- My favorite brand of Greek yogurt is Siggi’s because it’s lower in sugar than other brands.
- Chia Seeds – I use chia seeds in all my overnight oats recipes because it adds protein, fiber, and omega-3’s. It also creates a rich pudding-like texture.
- Pure vanilla extract – ¼ teaspoon is all that’s needed to make this vanilla overnight oats recipe spectacular.
Don’t use quick oats. Rolled oats are heartier and less processed than quick oats which is the reason they work well in overnight oats recipes. Quick oats, or instant oats, will turn into a jar of mush.
Steel-cut oats can be used. This is a little trickier because steel-cut oats won’t process as quickly as overnight oats.
The next morning the oats will still be a little crunchy but after a couple of days, you’ll have a delicious creamy chewy steel-cut overnight oats recipe. If it gets too thick add more liquid.
Use all non-dairy ingredients to make this a vegan overnight oats recipe. Non-dairy almond milk is already a part of the ingredient list but you can substitute non-dairy yogurt to make this recipe 100% vegan.
Use vanilla-flavored non-dairy milk – This adds more vanilla flavor to the recipe. Watch out for added sugars when switching to a flavored non-dairy milk.
Add the sweetener in the morning – In most overnight oats recipes I don’t add any sweetener when putting the ingredients together.
In the morning, after I give it a couple of stirs then add 1 -2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup or honey to sweeten it up.
If you like brown sugar on oatmeal then I recommend coconut sugar as a good substitution. Of course, adding extra sugar will change the nutritional information of this vanilla overnight oats recipe.
Can make a large batch of overnight oats – My favorite way to prepare overnight oats is in individual jars. However, if you need to make a larger amount then add the desired amount of ingredients into a large glass container, cover it, and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Scoop out the desired amount each morning.
This vanilla overnight oats recipe is the perfect base for many different toppings.
Here are some of my favorite overnight oats toppings.
- Fresh fruit – Bananas, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries are delicious in this vanilla overnight oats recipe. Chopped apples, peaches, kiwi, and just about any fruit will be tasty.
- Dried fruit – cranberries, cherries, blueberries, and other dried fruits add another layer of texture and flavor.
- Nuts – Pecans, almonds, and cashews give this recipe a nice crunch and flavor.
- Nut butter – Stir in some peanut butter, almond, cashew, or any nut butter for added protein and flavor.
- Shredded coconut – Sprinkle on top, or stir in, shredded coconut for added flavor and texture.
How to Make Vanilla Overnight Oats
- Mix the oats, almond milk, yogurt, chia seeds, and vanilla extract into a mason jar or glass container.
- Give it a few good stirs until the ingredients are combined and oats are covered in liquid.
- Tightly place on the lid and let the oats sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, stir in the maple syrup or other sweeteners. If the oats seem a little thick add in a splash or two of milk.
Add some tasty overnight oats toppings and enjoy. You can eat this out of the jar or pour it into a bowl.
Do you want to make your own creations? Check out my tutorial on how to make overnight oats.
Meal Prep Tips
Overnight oats are a natural meal prep breakfast recipe.
All you need to do is put the jars together the night before and let them sit overnight in the refrigerator. In the morning, add your sweetener and some extra liquid, and enjoy.
3-4 jars of overnight oats can be made ahead of time.
One of the ways I freeze overnight oats is to put all the ingredients into a individual bag or jar, minus the liquid, and freeze.
This assures I have all the ingredients needed ahead of time. Then the only item I’ll need to pick up from the store is almond or coconut milk.
Other Overnight Oats Recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats
- Strawberry Cheesecake Overnight Oats
Vanilla Overnight Oats
- 16-ounce mason jars or airtight containers
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk can use coconut milk or dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup vanilla greek yogurt can use non-dairy yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Place Into a 16-ounce mason jar, or another glass container, the rolled oats, milk, chia seeds, Greek yogurt, and pure vanilla extract.
- Stir ingredients together until combined and the oats are completely covered in liquid.
- Tightly place the lid on and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 5 hours.
- Remove the lid and stir in 1-2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup. If the oats are a little on the thick side then stir in a splash or 2 of additional milk.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy.