Back to school is in full swing over here in my neck of the woods – and I mean FULL SWING! It is amazes me, every year, how quickly we go from lazy summer days to up and fully dressed by 7:30am.
To make my mornings easier and more enjoyable I make it a priority to have breakfast items, such as pancakes and breakfast burritos, available in the freezer. Trust me; mornings go much smoother when all hubs and the kids need to do is warm up their breakfast.
A couple weekends ago I put together a new breakfast freezer recipe – chicken sausage and egg breakfast cups. I used chicken sausage because I have searched high and low for fresh turkey breakfast sausage and cannot seem to find it anywhere. I did find some pre-cooked stuff but that had more 20 letter ingredients than I care to feed my family. So I opted for a fresh parsley and cheese chicken sausage I found at Wegmans. You can use any sausage you prefer in this recipe.
The chicken sausage I bought was delicious and went perfectly with my egg cups. By the way, baking eggs in muffin cups is my new favorite way to prepare eggs. Of course, one of my lovely Organize Yourself Skinny FB Fans suggested it – genius! Baking the eggs this way gets you the perfect portioned controlled bite every time.
You can eat these chicken sausage and egg breakfast cups on their own with a piece of toast and fruit or you can, do what I do, and smash it between a toasted English muffin.
Of course, these breakfast cups freeze nicely so make a couple batches to have available during your busy weekday mornings.
- 1 pound about 5 – 6 links parsely and cheese chicken sausage or whatever kind you prefer.
- 12 eggs
- ¼ cup 1% milk
- Salt and pepper to taste optional
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Remove chicken sausage from casings. In a medium pan, cook sausages until no longer pink. As they cook break sausages up, with a spatula, into small to medium size pieces. If needed, drain slightly, and then divide sausage crumbles among 12 muffins tins sprayed with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Add a little salt and pepper if using. **Please note I think the sausages add enough flavor without the salt and pepper. Next time I make it I will probably leave the salt and pepper out.** Divide the egg mixture evenly over the chicken sausage in the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle cheese evenly over muffin cups.
- Carefully walk to place the muffin pan into the oven and cook for 20 – 23 minutes or until cooked completely. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Make Ahead and Freezer Cooking Instructions
Cook completely, let cool, and then wrap individually in plastic wrap. Then store in labeled freezer bag in the freezer.
For best results take out of the freezer the night before and let egg cups thaw in the refrigerator. Take out of plastic wrap and heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.