My kids ask me everyone morning to make French toast. Do I make it every morning? Um no. French toast is messy and takes more time to prepare than I have in the morning. For those two reasons I look at French toast as a weekend treat instead of a quick weekday breakfast. The problem is I keep forgetting to make it on the weekends. So… after the 100th time they asked for French toast I decided to give them a little treat this week.
Instead of making traditional French toast I decided to make a French toast casserole or bake. Off topic kind of but hearing my 7 year old try to say casserole is probably the cutest thing in the world.
Anyway, I don’t think I will every make regular French toast again. This bake was so incredibly easy to prepare, is prepared the night before, and taste scrumptious!
To keep this recipe wholesome and healthy I used whole grain whole-wheat bakery bread from my local grocery store. I do not recommend using sandwich bread. That will result in a mushy mess. This recipe needs hearty bread that is a day or two old.
For the egg mixture I used whole eggs, coconut milk, pure vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pure maple syrup for sweetness. I am sure you can just imagine the amazing smells making their way through my house the morning I baked this. Whatever you are thinking think better. It smelled awesome!
I cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and placed them into a 9 x 13 baking dish. I poured the egg mixture over the bread and tossed the bread until all the pieces were coated. Then I covered with foil and placed in the refrigerator overnight. To be honest I was not sure what to expect in the morning. A part of me thought I would find a bunch of mushy disintegrated bread. Nope. The bread soaked up all the liquid perfectly overnight while still holding its shape.
A quick note: I used coconut milk for this recipe but you can substitute any milk you like.
Before placing into the oven I decided to mix a quick streusel with almonds, brown sugar, and chilled butter and sprinkle that on top. I wanted a crunch. It was perfect.
My kids inhaled this French toast bake. They loved it better than regular French toast. And because this is so easy to make I can see myself making this for them more often than not.
- 1 loaf whole grain bakery bread (about 15 - 18 inches long), sliced and cut into 1-inch cubes. **I discarded the ends.
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup sliced raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- extra pure maple syrup for serving.
- In a medium to large bowl whisk together eggs, coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, pure vanilla extract, and maple syrup.
- Lay out the bread in a 9 x13 baking dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Pour the egg mixture over top of the bread. Gently stir it together until all of the bread is coated with the egg mixture.
- Cover the dish with foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, remove the dish from the refrigerator and place on the counter. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine almonds, brown sugar. and butter. Squeeze together with your hands until it forms a crumbly mixtures. Sprinkle it over top of the french toast mixture.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Serve hot or warm with more pure maple syrup, if desired.
The recipe can be prepare the night before. Continue with almond, sugar, and butter topping, place in the oven, and continue with recipe.
After it is baked, cut into portions, and store in the refrigerator and/or freezer. Wrap in plastic wrap then place in to freezer bags. Or store in plastic containers.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!