Having breakfast ready to grab and go is a must in our household. Especially for my kids. If they can not easily grab something to eat then it’s a guarantee we will be going to the drive-thru which is not good for our budget or waistline.
Over the summer I discovered we could freeze the breakfast sandwiches that we eat pretty much everyday. Since then our freezer has been stocked with bags of them. However, in the last couple weeks I have been feeling the need for a bit more variety at breakfast time. Last week I made the slow cooker steel cut oats that were scrumptious and this past weekend I put together a batch of these breakfast burritos.
When I was first putting the burritos together I was a little worried that they would not freeze well because the mixture seemed pretty wet, but they did freeze beautifully. Thank goodness!
These breakfast burritos are very tasty, satisfying, and are perfect for on the go. In the future I am going to play around with different flavor combinations.
One thing I want to mention is I did use regular pork sausage for this recipe because I could not find turkey breakfast sausage anywhere. If you can find turkey breakfast sausage then I recommend using it to help further reduce the calories.
In the last year I learned a fantastic reheating tip with these breakfast burritos. Place a coffee mud full of water in with burrito when you are warming up in the microwave. This will prevent the edges from getting hard. It word great!
- 1lb ground breakfast sausage
- 12 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded taco cheese
- 15 medium flour tortillas
- Using a large skillet brown the sausage and cook till done (about 8 minutes). Break into small pieces.
- Combine eggs and milk and whisk together until blended. Add to skillet with sausage. Cook until the eggs are set (about 5-7 minutes)
- Add in salsa and cheese to the sausage and egg mixture. Cook for another 5-7minutes or until cheese is melted and eggs are completely cooked.
- After it is finished cooking let the mixture cool slightly.
- Lay tortilla flat then in the center add ⅓ cup of the mixture and roll up.
These can also be warmed up in the toaster oven or a panini press. Be careful of some of the juices that might come out when biting into it.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!