If you’re looking for a meat-free breakfast option, you’ll love this protein-packed vegetarian breakfast burrito! These burritos are filled with quinoa, black beans, eggs, and salsa! They are delicious, easy to make, and a great way to start the day. You can also freeze these breakfast burritos to have a healthy grab-and-go breakfast ready at any time!
I’ve been making breakfast burritos forever.
In fact, this sausage and egg breakfast burrito is one of the first recipes I started making freezer meals with and one of the first recipes I ever shared on my blog! I used to be a huge breakfast burrito and sandwich fan back in the day.
Of course, prior to focusing on healthy recipes, my normal routine for eating was to head to a drive-thru or stock my freezer with microwavable boxes of processed burritos and sandwiches. My life was busy and back then, I was all about convenience – even if it was at the expense of my health.
Anyway, once I started to make clean and healthy foods using real ingredients, I prepared homemade versions of my breakfast favorites.
Over the years I’ve made many different variations of breakfast burritos – all using bacon, sausage, or some type of meat protein. However, a question I get every time I share these burritos on Instagram or Facebook is: “Do you have any vegetarian breakfast burritos?”.
Considering, I love vegetarian (and vegan) recipes, I can’t believe in 10 years of food blogging I’ve never put together a vegetarian breakfast burrito!
So, this time, I gave the bacon and sausage a rest and broke out the beans and quinoa to put together one of the best vegetarian breakfast burritos. Seriously, this is delicious!
These vegetarian breakfast burritos provide 25 grams of protein per burrito. That’ll surely keep you full until lunchtime! It also has 11 grams of fiber and only 9 grams of fat.
Honestly, this burrito is like a nutrition powerhouse. It is higher in carbs but I’ll offer some suggestions for lowering the carbs below.
Frequently Asked Questions About Veggie Burritos
Before I jump into this recipe, I wanted to answer a few questions I’ve received about these super yummy vegetarian breakfast burritos…
Can I Substitute The Beans?
Yes! My favorite beans to use in this recipe are black beans or pinto beans. Both can be used interchangeably. I use canned beans but if you make your own beans, then use 1 cup or so of beans in this recipe.
How Can I Reduce The Carbs?
I will admit, this recipe is a little higher in carbs but you can adjust it as needed!
The first thing you can do to lower the carbs is to use a low carb tortilla wrap. I’ve tried many low carb wraps and my favorite one is Father Sam’s low carb wraps – but use whichever is your favorite.
You can also reduce the quinoa to 1/2 cup or completely leave it out. I like adding quinoa because it does give it that extra bulk and boost of protein and fiber. You can also reduce the amount of beans used. Instead of an entire can, use 1/2 a can!
Do I Need To Eat This As A Burrito?
I like making a burrito because it’s easier when you need a grab and go breakfast. However, this filling tastes great on its own! You can also serve this filling in a big bowl for a brunch or to feed a crowd for breakfast.
Can I Substitute The Quinoa?
Yes, you can easily swap out brown rice for the quinoa and it’ll still be very tasty. Actually, any grain can be easily substituted for the quinoa!
You can also use diced or shredded hashbrowns. Personally, I don’t like to use hashbrowns because I like to add whole-grain carbs to the recipes.
What Else Can I Add To Vegetarian Burritos?
Besides the ingredients listed, here are a couple of my other favorite add-ons!
- Cilantro- I love cilantro in these burritos, but unfortunately, nobody else in my household likes cilantro so I just don’t mix it in. However, I’ll add sprinkles of fresh cilantro into my own burritos.
- Chipotle peppers- Chipotle peppers give these burritos a smokey flavor and a spicy kick that’s super tasty.
- Avocado- Who doesn’t love avocado in just about everything? Avocado adds a creamy texture and yummy flavor to these burritos. My recommendation is to slice or dice the avocados, then add to the burrito before rolling up in the tortillas. The only issue with avocado is it needs to be left out if your plan is to freeze the burritos because avocado can’t be frozen.
- More veggies- Onions, peppers, mushrooms, and spinach are great additions to these breakfast burritos. My advice is to saute the vegetables first, drain out the excess liquid, and then add to the eggs after they’re cooked. You don’t want a mushy burrito!
Quick and Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Burrito
This is a super easy breakfast burrito recipe to make! Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Whole eggs
- Egg whites
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Ground black pepper
- Jarred salsa
- Black beans
- Cooked Quinoa
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Whole-wheat burritos
- Cilantro (optional)
Let me show you the simple steps!
How To Make Your Own Breakfast Burritos With Veggies
In a medium-to-large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
Spray a large pan with some cooking spray and heat it over medium-high heat. Add in the eggs and quickly stir them with your spatula until they are cooked and scrambled.
Make sure to remove from the heat when it’s done so it doesn’t keep cooking.
Slowly stir in the salsa, beans, quinoa, and cheese.
Once everything is combined, scoop about a 1/3 cup of the filling and place it into the center of the tortilla. Fold the sides in and roll it up.
Repeat these last couple of steps with the rest of the tortillas and filling.
Serve the breakfast burritos with some extra salsa and sour cream!
How To Meal Prep These Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
You can meal prep this vegetarian breakfast burrito in a couple of different ways.
- You can prepare the filling and then store it in a container in the refrigerator. When it’s time to put the burritos together in the morning, you can warm up the filling in the microwave before filling the tortilla!
- You can prepare the burritos completely and then wrap in plastic wrap or foil to store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- After you have prepped the burritos, wrap them in foil or plastic wrap and stick them into a large freezer bag labeled “Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos”. When you’re ready to eat, remove the plastic wrap or foil and then heat in the microwave 1-3 minutes or until heated through. A little trick is to heat in the microwave alongside a coffee-sized cup of water to keep the tortilla from drying out.
More Breakfast Recipes
If you loved this vegetarian breakfast burrito, check out some of my other really yummy breakfast recipes!
- Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Smoothies Without Banana
- Breakfast Sandwiches
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Super Greens And Chicken Sausage Egg Bake
- 8 large whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup jarred salsa
- 1 (15- ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 (8-inch) whole-wheat burritos
- cilantro (optional)
- In a medium to large bowl whisk together the eggs, egg whites, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray and heat it over medium-high heat. Add in the eggs and as they cook move around with your spatula until they are cooked and scrambled. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the salsa, beans, quinoa, and cheese.
- Scoop ⅓ cup of the filling and place it into the center of the tortilla. Fold up the sides and then roll up. Continue with the rest of the tortillas and filling.
You can make this vegetarian breakfast burrito ahead of couple different ways. First, you can prepare the filling and then store it in a container in the refrigerator. Put the burritos together each morning. Warm up the filling in the microwave before filling the tortilla.
Second, you can prepare the burritos completely and then wrap in plastic wrap or foil and store in the refrigerator for a 2-3 days or freeze. Remove plastic wrap or foil and then heat in the microwave 1-3 minutes or until heated through.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!