Everybody needs comfort food once in awhile and just because you are trying to eat healthy and lose weight does not mean you need to deprive yourself should the craving come along. One helpful tip to fit comfort food into your healthy lifestyle, which I did here, is to create a healthier version of a traditional unhealthy favorite.
My hamburger macaroni and cheese recipe will easily fulfill any comfort food craving and the taste beats anything you can get from a box. It is also much healthier because it calls for whole grain pasta, quality ingredients, and zero preservatives. Not to mention, if you have the meat prepared ahead of time, this meal can be made using only one dish and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Obviously looking at the nutritional information this is not the skinniest meal I have put together. However, if you use portion control you can easily fit this into your diet.
Everything in moderation friends. Now go grab a fork and enjoy!
- 1 14 ounce box of whole grain macaroni
- 1 pound of seasoned ground hamburger. The hamburger recipe used in the cheeseburger wraps is perfect. Make sure it is completely thawed if you had it frozen.
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne powder
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper (black pepper is fine if you don't have white)
- 1 tablespoon wheat flour
- 3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a medium to large sauce pot cook macaroni till al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot melt the butter then add the milk, spices, and flour. Stir together until combined.
- Add the cooked macaroni and both cheeses into the milk mixture. Stir until the cheese starts to melt and the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
- Add in the seasoned hamburger. Stir until combined, cheese is melted, and the meat is completely heated through.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!