Baked oatmeal cups have become a breakfast favorite in my house. My kids love them and so do I. They are easy to make, perfectly portioned controlled, and freeze beautifully. So, you can make 2-3 batches on the weekend and have breakfast ready for the rest of the month.
A few weeks ago I made baked berry oatmeal cups with scrumptious almond streusel topping. I am kind of obsessed with streusel toppings. Seriously, they can bring any baked good to a whole new level. Anyway, like many of my recipes, once I find a recipe the whole family loves I try to create as many versions as possible.
Enter these apple spice baked oatmeal cups.
For this recipe I skinned and chopped up 2 gala apples. This gave me about 1½ cups. You can use any apple variety you like. I also included some walnuts. Nuts are good for bulking up the nutritional value of a recipe. However, you can leave them out if you are not a nut fan.
Once your apple is chopped up this recipe comes together pretty quickly. A tip to keep in mind is after you divide the oatmeal mixture among the muffin tins press down on each one with a spoon. You want to make sure the oats are covered in the liquid. You can see pictures of what this looks like in the berry baked oatmeal recipe.
My kids love these apple spice baked oatmeal cups. My oldest said they are her favorite and she loves the pieces of apple. The apple pieces turn nice and tender as they cook. Think apple pie. So good!
These apple spice oatmeal cups are only 188 calories and 5 weight watchers points per cup. Enjoy with some yogurt or even a small smoothie and you will be full till lunch!
- 3 cups rolled oats or old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup 1% milk
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups peeled and finely chopped apple about 2 small apples (I use Gala apples)
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl stir together rolled oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Set to the side.
- In another medium bowl crack and lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the the brown sugar until blended. Whisk in the Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, milk, and coconut oil.
- Stir oats mixture into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Gently stir in the chopped apple and walnuts.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. Drop oatmeal mixture, using a 1/3 measuring cup, into each of the muffin pan cups. Using a spoon press down the oat mixture into the liquid in each of the cups. This is to make sure the liquid is evenly distribute among the oats.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Take out of the oven and let the oatmeal cups cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins and serve with pure maple syrup.
Get Instant Access to My Overnight Oats Recipe E-Cookbook!
Sign up now to receive your FREE e-cookbook that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you!