Chicken salad is always a summer time favorite. It is easy to make, can be prepared in advance, and is used in a variety of ways (pita, wrap, stuffed in tomatoes, as is, etc). However, the problem with a traditional chicken salad recipe is it’s loaded with mayonnaise. 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise is 100 calories and some recipes call for at least ½ cup or more. As you can imagine this can be an issue for those of us trying to eat healthy.
Well I found a solution. A delicious solution. One that will never have you missing mayonnaise ever! I am not kidding. Plain Greek yogurt and a ripe avocado mashed together and mixed with chopped or shredded chicken breast. Who knew?! I threw in some spices and chopped red onion for crunch. OH MY GOD. Soooo good.
Get this. After my husband was finished eating his chicken salad I disclosed to him there was not a stitch of mayonnaise in the recipe. He was shocked. He thought for sure the chicken was smothered with mayo. Nope. All of the creaminess comes from the ripe avocado and of course greek yogurt. However, I really think the avocado is the staring ingredient that completely elevates this recipe.
This recipe is very versatile and you can play around with different flavors. I was thinking about adding in some feta cheese and oregano for a little Greek flare. Maybe a little chipotle seasoning and cilantro for some added kick. Yum! I also really enjoy the crunch from the red onion. If you are not a red onion fan then leave it out or add in another crunchy vegetable. Sky is the limit with this basic recipe.
If you were trying to figure out a way to fit chicken salad into your summer menu then give this recipe a try. You will love it!
- 1 ripe avocado, removed from skin
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon garlic granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ ground pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 small lime
- In a medium bowl mash together avocado and greek yogurt until smooth.
- Stir in garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add chicken and red onion to avocado mixture and stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Squeeze in half the juice from the lime. Give it a taste, squeeze in the rest of the lime if needed. I used all of the lime juice.
- Serve in a wrap, in a pita, or anyway you typically enjoy chicken salad.
This recipe can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
Get Back Into Those Skinny Jeans!
Subscribe to the FREE Organize Yourself Skinny email newsletter