This recipe is another family favorite and will satisfy even the most discriminating chili eater. When I first made this recipe my husband was a little weary because it has meatless “burger” crumbles. Though he became an instant fan immediately after tasting. It is truly delish, so easy to make, and freezes perfectly for future meals!
This chili can be served with tortilla chips or over brown rice.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumi
- 1 teaspoon ground chili
- 1 12 ounce package of meatless “burger” crumbles. I use the brand Boca.
- 1½ cups water
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of chili style tomatoes if you can’t find chili style don’t worry about it plain will work just fine
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Using a medium to large sauce pot saute the onion in the olive oil for about 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic and saute another 2 minutes. Add in chili and cumin, mix around, and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the meatless “burger” crumbles, water, and remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil then let simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and then enjoy.
- Serving size is about 1½ cups
This recipe is inspired by Weight Watchers “Meaty” Meatless Double- Bean Chili from their 2003 Annual Recipes for Success Cookbook.
Freezer Cooking Instructions
This recipe is very easy to freeze. Portion out prepared slightly cooled chili into freezer containers or bags. Place into the freezer.
Chili can be warmed up on the stove or in microwave.