All the flavors of buffalo chicken slow cooked into a hearty healthy delicious chili!
Just when I thought I exhausted all my buffalo chicken recipe creations this delicious buffalo chicken chili decides to show up in my dreams. I love dreams like this. Much better than the ones where my teeth fall out or I fall off a cliff. Haha! #truth! Nope this dream included a slow cooked chili filled with carrots, celery, ground chicken, hot sauce, beans, and topped with more hot sauce and sprinkled with blue cheese. Whoa baby!
A few years ago I made a buffalo chicken chili but that was made with chopped chicken breasts and prepared on the stovetop. This time around I wanted to use ground chicken and make it in the slow cooker.
Here’s my slow cooker buffalo chicken recipe going from dream to reality.
I started with a blend of chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and granulated garlic. Then I sautéed the onions and garlic in a little olive oil. When the onions became translucent I stirred in the tomato paste, spices, and cooked for another 2-3 minutes or until the spices become fragrant. I’ve mentioned this before but I like to cook spices before they go into a slow cooker recipe. I learned this tip from my favorite America’s Test Kitchen slow cooker cookbook. I know it’s extra work but in my experience it’s worth it.
After the vegetables are sautéed then all you need to do is put the rest of the ingredients into the slow cooker and turn it on.
The cast of ingredients include 2 lbs of ground chicken, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock, white kidney beans, and of course hot sauce. I have a 6-quart Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker. I cooked this recipe on low for 8 hours and it turned our delicious. You can also cook on high for 5 hours.
I sprinkle my chili with some crumbled blue cheese and a little more hot sauce. This hit the spot! YUM!
Now I will say this recipe makes A TON! But good news is that it freezes great so eat some for dinner and freeze the rest for a dinner later in the winter. You could half the recipe but just adjust the cooking time if needed because it may need less time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 carrots chopped into small pieces
- 4 celery stalks chopped into small pieces
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock divided
- 1 28- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 28- ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 15-ounce cans white kidney beans
- ½ cup Franks hot sauce
- Crumbled blue cheese and hot sauce to serve
- In a large saute pan cook the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery in olive oil until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the paste is blended in with the vegetables. Pour 1/2 cup of chicken stock into the plan to loosen up any spices or paste that is sticking to the pan. Pour vegetable mixture into the slow cooker.
- Add the ground chicken, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, white kidney beans, leftover chicken stock, and hot sauce into the slow cooker. Stir all the ingredients together.
- Cook on low for 8 - 9 hours or on high 5-6 hours.
- Sprinkle the top of each bowl of chili with crumbled blue cheese and a little more hot sauce.