I love simple, tasty, and inexpensive recipes that can be made ahead of time and frozen for future meals. Actually, I think that might be the requirement for every recipe I make and post here. It’s not that I don’t enjoy fancy recipes – cause I do – but I don’t have much time on my hands so I need recipes that can be prepared with ease.
This new Spicy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili is everything I love in a recipe. First of all, you only need one pot so it creates a minimal mess in the kitchen. Second, I had all the ingredients on hand except for the sweet potatoes. So I would consider this a pantry meal also. Third, it is packed with nutrition, taste delicious, and freezes great! Win all around!
I did use chicken stock for this chili because that is what I had in my pantry. However, if you prefer to make this recipe vegetarian then substitute vegetable stock. Either way it will be good.
The flavor of this chili is so good with the perfect balance of heat from the chili powders and sweetness from the sweet potatoes and honey. The black beans give it that hearty chili texture and earthy flavor.
Each serving is about 1½ cups and that is plenty. The sweet potatoes and beans provide a lot of fiber and protein that will keep you filled up for awhile. I froze the chili in 2 cup portions because I ran out of containers but if I could have I would freeze in single serving portions for lunches and easy dinners.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small to medium sized chunks
- 2 cups chicken stock or use vegetable stock if you like
- 2 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a small bowl mix together all the spices (first 6 ingredients). Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot heat the olive oil on medium. Add sweet potatoes and spice mixture. Cook until spices are fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, black beans, diced tomatoes, and honey. Bring to a boil then simmer for 40 – 50 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Serve hot. This can be garnished with sour cream or plain yogurt and a little shredded cheese.
This recipe can be made completely ahead of time and frozen into portion for future meals. Use plastic freezer containers or bags.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!