Today I have another slow cooker recipe for you – slow cooker steak fajitas. I am starting to fall back in love with my slow cooker. We had quite a fight a few years ago. But once I invested a little time into our relationship it has gotten much better.
Fajitas in general are a relatively easy recipe to make – all you need to do is cook up some meat, veggies, and throw in a tortilla. Although, if you don’t have time to be in the kitchen, prior to dinner, then making this slow cooker recipe might be a good solution for you.
This easy recipe, adapted from the Not Your Mother’s Slow Cooker Cookbook, uses flank steak and turned out absolutely delicious. This cut of beef is one of my favorites to prepare in the slow cooker. Flank steak can stand up to longer cooking times and always comes out tender, juicy, and full of flavor. I added a creamy avocado spread that sent these fajitas over the top. Sooo good!
To make this recipe even more busy mom friendly I turned it into a slow cooker freezer kit – which by the way is one of my new favorite things to do. When I was ready to cook it I just dumped it into the slow cooker frozen, turned it on, then 6 hours later it was done. Having these kits in the freezer makes life so much simpler.
Once the beef is cooked this recipe becomes very versatile. I prepared them traditionally in a tortilla but you can just as well serve them in a pita, as a sub, or on top of a pizza.
- ¾ cup of your favorite prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound flank steak make sure silver skin and extra fat is trimmed off if needed
- 1 large white onion cut in half then thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced into strips
- Avocado cream spread
- 1 avocado mashed
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- Juice of a ½ of lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together, in a small bowl, salsa, tomato paste, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, pepper, and salt.
- Place flank steak into the bottom of the slow cooker then pour mixture on top. Lay the onion and peppers on top.
- Cook for 5 – 8 hours on low. **I used a 6 quart slow cooker and put mine in frozen. It was done at 6 hours. If I put it in thawed it would have been done probably at around 5 hours (or less). Depending on your slow cooker your time could vary.
- Remove steak from slow cooker and cut across the grain into thin slices.
- Mix together avocado, greek yogurt, salt, pepper, and lime.
- Divide steak, peppers and onions, and avocado spread among 6 tortillas. Roll up and serve warm.
Slow Cooker Freezer Kit Instructions
Complete step 1. Then put mixture and flank steak into a freezer bag, label, and freeze. Place onions and peppers in a separate freezer bag, label, and freeze. Keep both bags together in the freezer.
When ready to cook you can put this kit in the slow cooker frozen or thawed. Obviously, remove from bags first then continue with step 2. Again, all slow cookers are different so be aware of the cooking time.
Other Freezer Cooking Instructions
You can also cook this slow cooker recipe completely, cool, and then freeze into portions.