This post is from contributing OYS writer Melissa.
Do you own a slow cooker? Do you use it? If it has been sitting in the back of your cabinet collecting dust, I’m telling you, you are missing out on a valuable cooking tool that can save you time and produce delicious, healthy meals for your family. I use my slow cooker at least once a week, mostly on those crazy days when I have to teach a gym class after work and my husband has a hockey game after dinner. There is nothing better than coming home to dinner already made so you can still eat as a family without resorting to fast food. Like a lot of healthy choices, this requires a small amount of preparation, but it is so worth it!
The recipe I am sharing with you today is a classic: Beef Stroganoff. This is a favorite in my house, especially with my carnivorous husband, and it’s so easy to do in the slow cooker. This recipe is from Cooking Light, which is one of my favorite sources of healthy recipes. I actually did the preparation in step 1 the night before and put the slow cooker pot in our basement fridge. In the morning all I had to do was add the flour/broth mixture, plug it in and set the timer.
Let me tell you first how delicious the house smelled! It was literally mouth-watering. I boiled the noodles while making side salads, but you could even make the noodles the day before and store in the fridge. This meal was creamy, filling and delicious. The side salad rounded it out with nice crispy greens. I definitely recommend this meal for busy nights in the fall and winter when you want a warm, comforting meal that still fits into a healthy lifestyle. Try it and let me know what you think!
- 1 lb. top round steak, trimmed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 T. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried dill
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 8 oz. container low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups hot cooked egg noodles (I used whole wheat)
- Cut steak diagonally across grain into ¼ inch thick slices. Place steak and next 8 ingredients (through garlic) in slow cooker. Stir well.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup and level with a knife. Place flour in a small bowl. Gradually add broth, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add broth mixture to slow cooker and stir well. Cover with lid. Cook on high 1 hour. Reduce to low and cook 7 to 8 hours or until steak is tender.
- Turn off slow cooker. Remove lid. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Serve over noodles. Top with fresh parsley.
Ingredients can be prepped the night before and stored in the refrigerator. Place in slow cooker next morning and set timer.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!