This past weekend I wanted to venture out and try cooking with something other than chicken. I came across this Shrimp Fried Rice recipe flipping through my 2003 Cooking Light Supper Fast Suppers cookbook and anytime I find a healthy recipe that allows me to indulge in a Chinese take-out favorite I try it.
I thought this healthier version of shrimp fried rice was very good and was happy to have another chinese food favorite added to the list along side my chicken “fried” rice.
- ½ pound medium sized peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 teaspoon grated and peeled ginger
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 6 sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chilled brown rice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Coat large saute pan with cooking spray then add one teaspoon oil. Saute shrimp, garlic, and crushed red pepper just until the shrimp is pink. Remove mixture from pan and set aside in bowl.
- Add remaining oil and saute peppers, scallions, and garlic for 5 – 7 minutes. Remove and add to the shrimp mixture bowl.
- Add egg and cook until it starts to set. Add the shrimp mixture back into the pan along with rice and peas.. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until shrimp and egg are fully cooked and peas are hot.
- Stir in soy sauce and water and cooked until completely heated through.
This recipe can be made completely ahead of time and frozen for future meals. For best results thaw for a few hours or overnight in the refrigerator then reheat on stove or microwave until heated through.
Special Note: This dish requires cold rice which means you will need to plan ahead if going to make it. I typically cook 4-6 cups of rice in my rice cooker every weekend to use in recipes during the week. Here are some instructions to make ahead and freeze rice for recipes.
Get Instant Access to My Best Meal Prep Tips & 20 Delicious Make-ahead Recipes!
Sign up now to receive your FREE ecookbook that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you!