I love my mason jar salads. In fact, it is hard for me to remember weekday lunches without them. Usually, I make the same kind week after week – balsamic dressing, tomatoes, cucumbers, chicken or turkey, and baby spinach or this one. As much as I like those flavors I was getting a little bored so I decided to switch it up.
I prefer chopped salads over big leafy salads so for my second mason jar creation I put together a chopped black bean and corn salad. This salad is so good and easily is going to be one of my favorites.
For the dressing I used a spicy salsa mixed with plain greek yogurt. Then I layered it with halved cherry tomatoes, red onion, black beans, corn, pepper jack cheese, avocado, chopped romaine, and cilantro. I prefer cherry tomatoes over chopping up a regular tomato because I feel they hold up better to the dressing. Also, you may be wondering if the avocado turns brown. I have used avocado twice in my mason jar salads and both times they did not turn brown. I squeeze lime on them and that seems to do the trick. Now my coworker Paula has used avocado in her mason jar salads and they turned brown. So maybe I am just lucky. Anyway, try it out and see if it works for you. I hope it does because it is delicious.
Originally, I was going to sprinkle some crushed tortilla chips over the top but I found it was good without it and I prefer to save the calories for something else – like chocolate. Plus this salad is very filling so it didn’t need anything extra. But if you are looking for more crunch and a little saltiness then throw a few tortilla chips on.
A tip as you put these mason jar salads together is to make sure all the ingredients are as dry as possible before layering. This prevents moisture from building up and lettuce getting soggy. I have been making mason jar salads since February and I have never had a soggy lettuce issue.
For more of my thought on mason jar salads click here.
Please note you can reduce the fat and calories in these salads by reducing the cheese and avocado.
- 5 wide mouth quart size mason jar salads
- 1 ¼ cup salsa
- 1 6 ounce container plain greek yogurt
- 1 quart cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 12 ounce package frozen corn, thawed
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 5 ounce block pepper jack cheese, cut into small cubes
- 4-5 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup or more chopped cilantro (optional)
- In each of the mason jars pour ¼ cup of salsa. Then divide the greek yogurt evenly among the jars. This will equal about 1 ½ tablespoons of greek yogurt per jar. Next divide and layer the rest of the ingredients evenly between the 5 mason jars starting with tomatoes then following with onions, black beans, corn, avocado, cheese, and ending with romaine and cilantro. When ready to eat pour into a bowl, mix together, and enjoy!
This can be made up to 5 days ahead of time.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!