This recipe for pizza stuffed chicken breasts takes everything you love about cheesy pepperoni pizza and rolls it up into a delicious low-carb chicken dinner! This family-favorite is so easy to make ahead for busy weeks
If you haven’t noticed, stuffing ingredients into other ingredients has been my new favorite thing to do. This past year alone, I have prepared:
- Spinach and feta stuffed chicken breasts that were amazing.
- This creamy jalapeno popper chicken is beyond delicious!
- How can I not use Everything But The Bagel Seasoning to make some cream cheese stuffed chicken?
Yup, I really went there.
Why I Am Obsessed With Making Stuffed Chicken
I think I like making “stuffed” foods for two reasons.
- It creates a nice portion-controlled meal. Unlike, a big casserole where the portion can get tricky, a stuffed chicken breast or pepper makes figuring out the portion size less complicated. I like easy!
- I find stuffing ingredients into chicken and peppers gives a nice fancy twist to dinner. This keeps it interesting because my kids sometimes get easily bored eating the same 3 recipes over and over again.
I particularly like stuffing chicken breasts because, let’s be honest, baked chicken for dinner isn’t always the most exciting. There are just so many days you can eat breaded baked chicken or shredded chicken.
Also, when a chicken breast is pounded out into thin cutlets, and stuffed with ingredients, I find that it stays moist and juicy as it bakes. So I think it is safe to safe that preparing stuffed chicken breast recipes are my new favorite thing to make.
So, stay tuned because my recipe wheels are already turning!
My Inspiration For Pizza Chicken
The idea for pizza stuffed chicken came when we were eating the spinach and feta stuffed chicken breast. I asked my oldest daughter for some recipe ideas and she suggested pizza toppings.
Pizza toppings stuffed into a chicken breast? Sounds good to me! So, you can thank Emma for this pizza chicken recipe.
When it came time to choosing the “pizza” ingredients for this recipe, I decided to keep it simple and use basic ingredients. I figured down the road, I could play around with other toppings (or fillings) but wanted to get a basic pizza chicken recipe down first.
Low Carb Pizza Stuffed Chicken Breast
Alright, let’s get to this yummy recipe! Here is the list of ingredients you need to make this tasty pizza chicken breast recipe:
- Onion powder
- Granulated garlic
- Pizza sauce
- Turkey pepperoni
- Parmesan cheese
- Chicken breasts
- Turkey pepperoni
Note: Grab the exact measurements for all of these ingredients in the recipe card below
How To Make Healthy Pizza Chicken
To start off this recipe, I pounded the chicken breasts out into thin cutlets and then seasoned them with a garlic, onion, salt, and pepper mix.
For the filling, I used pizza sauce, parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and turkey pepperoni. I cut up the pepperoni into small pieces so it all blended nicely. For the pizza sauce, I used a jarred organic sauce (like Rao’s- my favorite!) but you can certainly make and use your own.
After you have everything ready, I mixed all the ingredients together (minus seasonings and chicken) then spread the mixture onto the seasoned chicken breasts and rolled them up.
I then topped the chicken with more sauce, cheese, a couple of slices of pepperoni, and baked for 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
- The chicken breasts – especially after being pounded out – are quite big, so my kids and I only ate ½ a breast. I think ½ of prepared chicken breast is a perfect portion especially if you are having a side or salad with it. I figured the calories and points using ½ of 1 prepared pizza stuffed chicken breast.
- If you want to add vegetables, I would sauté them first then add them to the sauce and other ingredients. I am not sure they would fully cook if stuffed into the chicken breast raw.
What To Serve With Low Carb Chicken
This pizza chicken recipe was a hit! I ended up serving this chicken with a batch of whole-grain penne pasta and a yummy side salad for the kids. Since I am really trying to stick to eating low carb, I omitted the pasta for myself and just served myself some extra salad and some roasted broccoli.
How To Make Healthy Pizza Chicken Ahead Of Time
These chicken breasts can be made ahead of time and frozen before baking!
Take out the chicken the night before to thaw in the refrigerator. Bake as noted in the instructions above but you might need to cook them a little bit longer if they are still slightly frozen.
You can also cook the pizza stuffed chicken completely and make a freezer meal for later! Just let it thaw in the refrigerator and warm dinner up in the toaster oven or microwave. I recommend warming it up in the oven or toaster oven to really make this chicken dinner wow!
More Chicken Recipes
If you are looking for a couple of more chicken breast recipes, take a look at this list:
- Oven-Baked Greek Yogurt Chicken
- Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- One Pan Chicken And Veggies
- Baked Cheddar Ranch Chicken Breast
- ‘Everything But The Bagel’ Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
If you’re looking for a low-carb alternative to pizza, then put this recipe for healthy pizza chicken on the menu! Share a picture and tag me on Instagram or Facebook if you decide to try to make pizza stuffed chicken breasts for dinner this week!
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups pizza sauce divided
- 30 slices turkey pepperoni chopped
- ¼ cup parm cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella divided
- 4 chicken breasts pounded out into thin cutlets
- 8 slices whole turkey pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a small bowl mix together onion powder, granulated garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Set seasoning mixture aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together 1 cup pizza sauce, chopped pepperoni, parmesan cheese, and ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Divide the mixture by fourths in the bowl.
- Lay out the chicken cutlets, season with some of the seasoning mixture, and spread 1/4 of the pizza sauce mixture onto each cutlet almost to the end. Roll up and place in a casserole dish. Sprinkle with a little more seasoning then pour the last cup of pizza sauce over chicken breast. Sprinkle rest of the mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken breasts. Then top each chicken breast with 2 pieces of pepperoni.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through. Mine cooked perfectly at 50 minutes.
Chicken breasts can be made ahead of time and frozen before baking. Take out night before to thaw in refrigerator. Bake as directed but you might need a little longer of cooking time if still slightly frozen. You can also cook completely and freeze. Let thaw in refrigerator and warm up in toaster oven or microwave, Best results would be in oven or toaster oven.
Sodium content please?
I’m not sure why but mine came out with a bunch of extra water……suggestions?
sam p. says
how do you pound out your chicken breasts?
I googled the same question. Place them on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap and use a meat mallet (I bought one today and it worked perfectly) until they’re between 1/2 and 1/4 inches. Not too thin or they will tear. Good luck!