Over the last month mason jar salads have become my go to lunch. I love them! When I first came across this new make ahead idea I thought they were just another pretty Pinterest creation. Well I was wrong. Using mason jar salads, as opposed to plastic containers, keeps the salad ingredients incredibly fresh throughout the week and makes transporting my lunch very convenient. Not to mention, these mason jar salads, are the sole reason my consumption of vegetables has more than doubled. I highly recommend you give them a try!
I have been playing around with different salad combinations. Last, week I layered balsamic dressing, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, whole wheat pasta, and spinach. Such a basic and classic combination yet so delicious! Easily one of my favorites so far! I absolutely love the way the tomatoes marinate in the dressing. Honestly, they just get better as the week goes on.
I actually am thinking about making a jar with just tomatoes and dressing – they are that good.
Remember, it is easier to pour these salads into a bowl when ready to eat. I know that is one more bowl but personally I have not found it not to be an issue. The benefits easily outweigh any inconvenience.
If you are a video person then check out this quick “how to” recipe tutorial.
- 10 tablespoons balsamic vinegar dressing (I use Newmans own brand)
- 1 quart grape tomatoes
- 10 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 2 cups dry whole grain pasta, cooked
- 10 cups baby spinach
- 5 quart size mason jar salads
- Divide ingredients evenly in mason jars starting with dressing, then tomatoes, mozzarella, pasta, and ending with spinach. Place lid on jar and close tight.
- Shake jar to coat dressing and pour into bowl to eat.
Get Back Into Those Skinny Jeans!
Subscribe to the FREE Organize Yourself Skinny email newsletter