Oatmeal is one of the foods that I used to hate. I wanted to like it, really I did, but every time I would try it I could never bring myself to eat it.
Now I know why.
Come to find out it was not real oatmeal I loathed it was the instant stuff that dissolved into mush the moment hot water hit it. Once I started cooking whole rolled oats on the stove or steel cut oats in the slow cooker I developed a new found respect for this yummy grain.
Over the last couple of months I came across a different way to prepare oatmeal and that is baked.
After researching different baked oatmeal recipes I ended up adapting a recipe from Food.com. The results were amazing bringing my love for oatmeal to the next level. The consistency and texture were almost like one of those Quaker oatmeal bars but only healthier and better.
Oh mama these were good!
This recipe is a basic one that tastes delicious with a drizzle of pure maple syrup and/or cream. In the future, I will experiment with different ingredients to offer a variety of bake oatmeal flavors.
You absolutely must try this. Do it this weekend 🙂
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup 1% milk
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup applesauce (use homemade if you have it)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium to large bowl mix together oil, sugar, eggs, applesauce, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Add to the bowl rolled oats, baking powder, and milk. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour oat mixture into an 8 inch square baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Let sit for about 3 minutes, cut into 9 squares, and serve warm.
These bars freeze and reheat very nicely. After they cook and cool wrap individually in plastic wrap then place in labeled freezer bag for the freezer.
Remove plastic wrap and warm in microwave (1-2 minutes) or in oven on 350 for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
Get Instant Access to My Best Meal Prep Tips & 20 Delicious Make-ahead Recipes!
Sign up now to receive your FREE ecookbook that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you!