Something is happening to my brain. When I first started this blog I would have never in millions years considered myself a foodie. Don’t get me wrong, I liked to cook. However, with 3 hungry mouths to feed I cooked more out of necessity than pleasure.
Now Organize Yourself Skinny I am starting to dream about food. I am becoming inspired by lonely ingredients that, back in the day, unfortunately would expire and get thrown out.
For example, the last few days, I knew I had 3 peaches sitting in my fridge that were starting to get uncomfortably soft. It was only a matter of time before they hit the road of no return. I thought about making a pie or a tart but did not have enough. So they just sat there. Then yesterday my husband took a 2 cup bag of frozen blueberries out of the freezer and then for so reason, only men would understand, did nothing with it. He said he was going to make smoothies with it, but for some reason he didn’t. Anyway, I now had 2 cups of thawed blueberries to deal with.
Then Saturday around midnight I woke up and instantly thought about a peach and blueberry crisp. I was so excited and could not wait to wake up Sunday morning to start making this. You see this is the moment where I feel I am no longer just a cook but a foodie. This is because nobody, other than foodies, would wake up in the middle of the night and think about berry crisps. Okay maybe someone does but do they set their alarm for 6:00am on a Sunday to start baking it – I would say probably not. My name is Tammy and I am a foodie.
I adapted the recipe from my Cooking Light Way to Bake cookbook. All the ingredients for the crisp were already in my pantry so this blueberry and peach crisp was super easy to throw together. It was delicious! This is a great way to enjoy the last tastes of summer fruit as well as save any leftover fruit in your fridge.
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 peaches, pitted, skinned, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Small pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together blueberries, peaches, sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, sliced almonds, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or 2 knifes. I also use my hands to work it all the together. The end result should be a crumb mixture that is “crumby” and has small and medium pea shapes to it.
- Pour fruit mixture into an 8 inch square baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Evenly top with the crumb mixture. Bake for 45 minutes. Let sit for about 3-5 minutes and serve warm.
Make Ahead and Freezer Cooking Instructions
The crumb mixture can be made ahead of time and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!