Grill season is upon us and I have to say I’m very excited. Typically, I just throw hotdogs, hamburgers, or basic marinated chicken on the grill but this summer I’m determined to think outside the box.
I’m starting with this Balsamic Honey Grilled Chicken recipe. It’s beyond easy, can be made-ahead of time, and super tasty!
Balsamic vinegar is one of my favorite ingredients. Mostly, I use it in salad or with fresh mozzarella but this time around I wanted to prepare grilled chicken with it.
Obviously, you can’t just marinated chicken in plain balsamic vinegar, I tried. Haha it doesn’t work. It’s way to vinegary and makes the chicken tough. Instead you need to make a marinade using balsamic vinegar as the base.
I started with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, grated garlic, some italian seasoning, along with salt and pepper. This was good and would taste great over a dressing but it definitely need a touch of sweetness so I stirred in some honey. Perfect. I also felt it could use a little kick so I threw in some crushed red pepper.
A note about the garlic. You want to grate the garlic. This turns it into a paste and helps to distribute the garlic flavor nicely in the marinade. I have this zester by Oxo. It’s under $10 and probably one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use it for garlic all the time and to zest lemons, limes, and oranges.
Also, you want to whisk the marinade good to keep the honey from sticking to the bottom.
It only takes about 5 minutes to throw this marinade together. After it’s prepared, pour it over the chicken. I used a gallon size freezer bag but you can use any container you wish. I like the freezer bags because I tend make marinaded chicken ahead of time to freeze. Then the I take it out the day before and let it thaw in the refrigerator. It marinates beautiful this way and is ready for the grill when we are ready to eat.
Of course you can use a grill pan if you don’t own a grill. This grill pan is a best seller on Amazon and under $20.
Grill this chicken over medium high heat. Grill both sides for about 5-6 minutes or until cook through. I didn’t reserve any of the marinade to baste the chicken with but you can.
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 4 ounce boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey, olive oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Place the chicken in a bowl, dish, or plastic bag and pour the marinade over top.
- Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Grill chicken over medium high heat for 5-6 minutes on both sides or until cooked through. Baste with reserved liquid a couple times as it cooks.