I love Asian inspired food! The flavors of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil are like no other. However, there is one problem. I need to be in the mood for it. Typically, when a craving hits I reach for my favorite Italian comfort foods not Chinese.
Anyway…this is why you may have noticed beef and broccoli making its way onto my meal plan the last few weeks. No, I haven’t made it three weeks in a row. I planned to make it. But then I get in the mood for something else. I try not to do this often because I risk ingredients going bad and that’s not good.
Well this week I was in the mood for Asian food so I decided to finally make this slow cooker beef and broccoli recipe.
Meat in the slow cooker is tricky. Depending on the cut of meat it can turn out super tender and moist or dry and stringy. Fat cuts of meat like roasts or butts cook much better in the slow cooker. However, I wanted to keep this recipe lean so I used sirloin instead of a roast.
My lesson learned with using sirloin in the slow cooker is it does not need to cook that long at all. In fact, a 2lb sirloin steak only needs about 3 hours on high in the slow cooker or 5 hours on low. Any more and it will be dried out rubber. So this is not an all day slow cooker meal. I recommend cooking it on the weekend or when you will be home.
However, there is not a lot of prep that goes into this recipe so it is kind of a dump and turn on recipe. Yay! Just place the sirloin in the bottom of the slow cooker insert, mix up the rest of the ingredients, pour it over the steak, and then turn it on. The broccoli gets added at the last ½ hour along with a slurry to thicken the sauce up a bit.
The flavors of this recipe are everything you would expect in an Asian-inspired beef and broccoli recipe. One taste and you won’t feel the need to order Chinese takeout when craving hits.
The serving for this recipe is about 1 1/2 cups beef and broccoli and 1/2 cup rice. If you want to reduce the weight watchers points a little then reduce the amount of rice to 1/4 cup.
**I prepared diet freezer meals using the leftovers. I portioned out the sauce and rice into individual freezer containers and froze. When I am ready to eat I will warm them up in the microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until it is heated through.
- 2 lbs sirloin steak
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1½ inch peeled ginger root, grated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped scallions (white part and some of the green)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (12 - 16 ounce bag) frozen steam in bag broccoli florets
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked brown rice.
- Lay the sirloin steak in the slow cooker insert. In a bowl whisk together the beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, scallions, and red pepper flakes. Pour over the sirloin and set to high for 3 hours.
- Take sirloin out of the slow cooker and set aside.
- Remove 1 cup of the sauce from the slow cooker and whisk in cornstarch. Pour back into the slow cooker with the rest of the liquid.
- Cut the sirloin into strips and add back to the slow cooker.
- Remove the frozen broccoli from the bag and place into the slow cooker. Stir it up until all the ingredients are coated. Stir in salt. Cook on high for another hour.
- Serve over cooked brown rice.
The marinade for the sauce can be prepped 1 -2 days ahead of time. Pour onto the steak the day you make it and continue with instructions.
You can also prep the cooked recipe into homemade diet freezer meals. Portion sauce and rice out into freezer containers and freeze. Reheat in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!