I love this time of year because for the first time in months we finally have edible strawberries at the grocery store and pretty soon we will actually be able to pick them fresh at local farms. My kids, being the strawberry fanatics they are, are so excited to finally see big bowls of strawberries in the refrigerator again.
Now my girls are perfectly happy just munching on plain old strawberries but of course I wanted to make something yummy with these little juicy glimpses of summer. The first thing that came to my mind was a strawberry chocolate chip muffin. What better combination than strawberries and chocolate? Ok maybe peanut butter and chocolate but you know what I mean.
After a couple test runs these flavorful hearty muffins were born.
- 1 cup white unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped (about 3-4 large strawberries)
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 400 degrees
- Add first 6 ingredients together in bowl, whisk together, and set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl blend together egg, butter, and milk.
- Slowing add in dry ingredients to wet ingredients mixing together till moist and all blended. Do not over mix.
- Fold in strawberries then chocolate chips.
- Spray muffin pan with cooking spray. Fill each muffin tin about ½ to ⅔ full and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean of batter. Do not over bake because you want them to be moist not dry.
These muffins can be made, wrapped in plastic wrap, and frozen. I have not frozen the batter ahead of time yet. When I do I will update this post on the results. If you have please let me know how it worked out.
Take muffin out of freezer and defrost on counter overnight or remove the plastic and defrost in microwave for 1 – 2 minutes (or until warm)
This recipe is shared at:
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!