I am not one to shy away from recipes with a long ingredient list. Personally, I like to try new things and when making foods from scratch sometimes there is really no way around it. However, I also do not turn my nose up to an easy 4 ingredient recipe either. Heck no! I am a busy woman and sometimes the only thing I have the energy to make is something I can throw into a crockpot and turn on.
This Slow Cooker Italian Shredded Beef is just that!
All you need is 4 ingredients (okay maybe 6 if you are going to make sandwiches) and a slow cooker. No cooking ahead of time. No prepping of ingredients. Nope. Just dump everything into the slow cooker and turn it on. Soon your house will smell so good everyone will think that you slaved away in the kitchen for hours.
I did learn a couple things about this recipe. First, I prefer chuck roast using my slow cooker. I know it is more fatty than other cuts of beef but every time I try to use a leaner cut it never gets that pull apart melt in your mouth tender. Do you have the same experience? If not, what are your tips and tricks?
Second, it is important to save some of the banana peppers to add in after it cooks. All day slow cooking results in very soft banana pepper rings. The flavor is great but if you like the crunch of a banana pepper then save half to throw in at the end.
This shredded beef recipe will certainly be a new family favorite. It is delicious! Even my oldest loved it and she is quite the food critic (aka picky eater). I served them on hoagie rolls with ½ slice of provolone cheese. To reduce the calories I enjoyed mine open faced – meaning I left the top half of the bread off. The nutritional information is figured for an open-faced sandwich. My husband, on the other hand, enjoyed a full blow shredded Italian beef hoagie as you see in the picture.
Leftovers can be frozen using plastic containers or bags. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave then use in hoagies, on a pizza, or this shredded beef would even taste great on a salad.
- 1 (2.5lb) chuck roast
- 1 (.70 ounce) packet Simply Organic Italian Dressing Mix
- 1 (16-ounce) jar of sliced banana peppers (I used medium heat), reserve half ½ cup of the juice.
- ½ cup beef broth
- Place the chuck roast in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the Italian dressing mix over the top.
- Pour the reserved banana pepper juice and beef broth over the chuck roast.
- Flip the chuck roast a couple times and then pour ½ of the banana pepper rings on top of the roast.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove the chuck roast from the slow cooker and place into a large bowl. Using 2 forks shred the beef. Pour in the rest of the banana peppers. Spoon in some of the reserved juice from the slow cooker. This helps keep the shredded beef moist and adds flavor.
- Lightly toast one half of a hoagie roll. If you are feeling on the wild side add a little butter. Then place ½ cup of the shredded beef on the roll and then lay a ½ slice of provolone on top. Place under the broiler for 1-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
This recipe can be made completely ahead of time and frozen into portions for future meals. Freeze in freezer bags or containers. Reheat in microwave or on stove.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!