If you are thinking of doing a Whole30 challenge, try adding these Chili-Spiced Roasted Sweet Potatoes to your 30-day meal plan. With 5 super simple ingredients (most of which are probably already in your pantry), you can make these wedges in under an hour!
The great inspiration behind this recipe was my daughter. She absolutely loves the chili-spiced roasted sweet potatoes at Core Life and she is constantly asking to have them. So, instead of going out to buy them, I decided to try and make my own version of those sweet potatoes. It also helps that this recipe is also great for me and my meal plan!
If you think about it, this recipe really is a cheap and healthy side dish. You can pair it up with any kind of protein and a whole-grain side dish (like quinoa) to have a complete and rounded meal.
If you happen to be doing a Whole30 challenge, this can be a part of your meal plan! It’s one of the few “starchy” vegetables that are allowed but that’s because of its nutritional value.
You may not know this, but sweet potatoes are actually very beneficial for you even though they are a potato.
Sweet Potato Nutrition Facts
Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins and minerals plus they can provide great nutrition for our bodies. Here are some food facts you probably didn’t know about sweet potatoes!
- Sweet potatoes are often referred to as a “nutritional powerhouse”.
- They are rich in fiber, selenium, iron, and are also a high source for vitamins B and C.
- Sweet potatoes are full of antioxidants and Vitamin A that can help reduce inflammation.
- This root vegetable has a low-glycemic index so they don’t raise your blood sugar as white potatoes would.
Now that we know about sweet potatoes and what they can do for us, let’s start cooking.
Whole30 Chili-Spiced Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes – rich in fiber, iron, and calcium
- Olive oil – rich in healthy monosaturated fats and antioxidants
- Chili powder – decreases swelling in the body and increases blood flow
- Cumin – high in iron and aids the digestive system
- Salt – helps as electrolytes in the body and supports muscle function
How To Make These Sweet Potatoes in the Oven:
After you have preheated the oven to 425 degrees, cut off all the end of the potatoes and start to peel the skin off.
Personally I find sweet potatoes hard to peel and cut, so make sure you have a sharp knife (but don’t cut yourself!). I don’t usually use a peeler to take the skin off but use a paring knife to thinly cut the skin off. Then, I am able to get all of the skin off and cut the potatoes into the shapes I want.
I prefer to cut my sweet potatoes into wedges to get a more cohesive cook on them. However, you can also cut into them into round slices or diced up evenly—you’ll just have to adjust cooking time accordingly if they are smaller.
Season the Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
Before you put these wedges in the oven, you will want season them well. My favorite spice combination to use on these sweet potato wedges are chili, cumin, and salt. If you’re not really into those spices or are looking for something more simplistic, these would be perfect with just a little sprinkle of sea salt or even some light Italian seasoning.
Once you’ve decided which seasoning you want to use, lightly drizzle the potatoes with some olive and sprinkle in your spices. I would recommend pouring the olive oil first so you are not “wiping” off the seasoning.
This next step can go two ways.
- You can use some tongs and toss your potatoes in the bowl to get them coated.
- Really get in there and toss the wedges in the olive oil and spices using your (clean) hands.
The choice is yours but I find it much easier to use my hands.
Cook the Sweet Potatoes in the Oven
Lay the potato wedges on a baking sheet and cook for 40 – 45 minutes.
Diced sweet potatoes won’t take as long to cook – probably around 15 – 20 minutes at 425 degrees. If you decide to make rounds, it would just depend on how thick you slice them but those should take around 25 – 30 minutes to cook.
The perfect way to know if your sweet potatoes are perfectly cooking is to keep an eye on them in the oven around the last five minutes. You want to make sure they are brown and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
After the sweet potatoes are cooked, and slightly cooled, store them in glass meal prep containers and leave them in the refrigerator for up to 5-6 days. You can reheat the wedges in the microwave or toaster oven.
I really like to pair these roasted sweet potato wedges with some BBQ pulled pork or some grilled chicken. Just make sure any sauces or seasonings you decide to use are Whole30 compliant if you are following a Whole30 lifestyle!
Make-ahead Tips for These Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
Roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect recipe for meal prep. You can have these readily available as a healthy side dish during the week or put together in a meal prep bowl with something as simple as baked chicken and steamed broccoli.
These chili-spiced sweet potato wedges can be made up to 5 days in advance! To maintain freshness, you can store them using glass meal prep containers in the refrigerator.
To warm them up:
- Warm-up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until hot.
- You can also warm these up in a toaster oven for about 3-5 minutes to get them crispy.
These roasted sweet potatoes are super tasty and very satisfying. It almost feels sinful to eat it but it’s actually one of the best foods to add to your diet when trying to eat healthier.
More Whole30 Side Dishes To Try:
If you are looking to try some more Whole30 side dishes during your next Whole30 challenge, try some of these veggie-based dishes to add to your meal prep!
- Super Simple Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Asparagus (4 ways)
- Roasted Balsamic Vegetables
- Big Skinny Greek Salad
Trade out those regular white potato french fries for these Chili- Spiced Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges. They’re also Whole30 and Paleo compliant! Share a picture and tag me on Instagram or Facebook if you decide to try it!
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut off the ends. Then cut into half and then into wedges.
- Put the sweet potatoes into a bowl with olive oil, chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Use your hands to mix the sweet potatoes until they are evenly covered with oil and spices.
- Lay the sweet potato wedges on a baking sheet and cook for 40 - 45 minutes, or until potatoes are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- Serve hot.
These chili-spiced sweet potato wedges can be made up to 5 days ahead of time. Store using glass meal prep containers in the refrigerator. Warm-up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until hot. You can also warm these up in a toaster oven for about 3-5 minutes to get them crispy.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!