This Mexican Chicken Soup is AMAZING! If you like spicy, creamy, and super flavorful then put this soup on the meal plan. It is easy to make, only requires one pot, and can be made ahead of time and frozen. Win win win!
The weather in Buffalo, NY has been SO COLD! Like bitter freezing don’t want to get out of bed until June cold. Seriously, there were days that the wind chill was below -20. And it’s almost March. That’s crazy! It makes me wonder now that I work from home, and can basically work anywhere in the world, why I choose to stay in this Tundra? Oh well as my 7 year old says “suck it up buttercup”. #sheismychild. Anyway, snow or no snow I am a Buffalonian to the core and that is why I stay. Plus, you just can’t get good pizza anywhere in the world like you can in the good ole B-lo. True story!
Okay enough complaining about the cold. Let’s talk Mexican Chicken soup. Because if there is one good thing that comes out of “frost bite in 20 second” temperatures it is the constant craving for delicious comforting hot soups.
How to Make Mexican Chicken Soup
To keep it simple, I cooked the chicken in the broth, chopped it up, and then added it back into the soup. You can also use Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken you have in the freezer or throw in shredded rotisserie chicken. Whatever chicken you have on hand will work great in this soup.
For the spicy I used 1 jalepeno pepper and 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. I removed the seeds and chopped up both. This lent plenty of heat to the soup. If you want it extra spicy then either leave the seeds in or add in a second chipotle pepper. Be careful cause a little goes a long way.
Most creamy soup recipes call for heavy cream or half and half. I decided to keep it light and use 1% milk and 2 ounces of full fat cream cheese. This gave my soup the perfect amount of creaminess. Don’t worry if the cream cheese does not melt completely right away it will continue to melt as it cooks.
To add flavor and texture to the soup I used a couple cans of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis, a can of black beans, and 1 cup of corn. The last thing I did was squeeze in juice from a whole lime, stir in ¼ cup chopped cilantro, and sprinkle in ½ teaspoon of salt. Absolutely delicious! You might wonder why I add the salt in at the end. I actually learned from watching shows on the Food Network it is best to salt the recipe at the end. This helps to enhance and bring all the flavors together. I found this to be true so now I add my salt at the end.
If you are looking for a new twist on chicken soup then give this recipe a go. It has great flavor and will provide all the comfort you need on a cold snowy day. However, even if you are in hot sunny Florida try this recipe. You will love it!
Mexican Chicken Soup
- 5 1/2 Dutch Oven or Soup Pot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 jalepeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 10 ounce cans Rotel diced tomators with green chilis
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ounces full fat cream cheese cut into small chunks
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- serve with chopped avocado and plain greek yogurt
- In a 6 quart or larger pot heat the olive oil on medium high. Then add in the onions, garlic, jalepeno, chipotle pepper and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Next add the cumin, coriander, and chili powder. Stir until all the vegetables are coated. Cooked for another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil then add in the chicken breasts.
- Simmer for 20 minutes then remove chicken and set aside to cool a little.
- While the chicken is cooling stir in the milk and cream cheese and simmer until the cream cheese is almost melted, about 5 – 7 minutes. There will still be small chunks or specks of cream cheese as the soup cooks. Don’t worry it will all melt together by the end.
- Stir in the black beans and corn.
- Shred or chop the chicken then add back to the soup. Cook for another 20 – 25 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice, cilantro, and salt. serve hot. If desired serve with chopped avocado and plain greek yogurt
The chicken for this soup can be made ahead of time. Stir it in after the beans and corn go in. You can also make this soup completely ahead of time and freeze into individual portions for future lunches or dinners.
Other Healthy Soup Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Healthy Potato Soup
- Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Tortellini Soup with Spinach
See all of my healthy soup recipes.