Between the richness of the tortellini and the fresh taste of the lemon this soup is the perfect comfort food to transition you out of winter and into spring. And for everyone out there, including myself, who lives for big taste and minimal clean up this recipe is a one pot meal that takes about 25 minutes to prepare. This recipe is inspired and adapted from the Greek Style Tortellini Soup recipe found in the 2003 Cooking Light Superfast Suppers Cookbook I came across today while putting my menu together.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Juice of one lemon about 1/4 cup
- 1 9 ounce package dry cheese tortellini such as Barilla
- 1 cup baby spinach roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- shredded Romano cheese
- Saute chicken in olive oil until no longer pink. As the chicken is cooking break up into smaller pieces with spoon or spatula.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add in broth or stock, water, wine, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Stir every few minutes.
- Once boiling add in the tortellini and cook for about 8 – 10 minutes or until tortellini is done stirring frequently.
- Stir in spinach and serve.
If you wish add a little fresh ground pepper and shredded cheese. Please note cheese will increase the calories of this dish.