Bruschetta is one of my favorite ways to eat up the abundance of summer tomatoes and basil popping up in gardens and at the farmers markets this time of year. Usually, I am happy just eating it for a snack or appetizer, on a piece of toasted baguette, but this time I was in the mood for something a little different.
I decided to take a very simple bruschetta and bake it over lightly seasoned chicken breasts.
Oh my, this was absolutely delicious. I think I could have just eaten the tomatoes by themselves. I loved the way they sweetened up as they roasted. The ones that caramelized a bit with the balsamic vinegar were my favorite. So good!
This recipe looks and tastes sophisticated but is actually so incredibly easy to prepare. I made this over the weekend, at my family’s country cottage, and everyone loved it – especially my brother in law. He said he felt like he was eating at a restaurant 🙂
I was making a bunch of meals that night so I served this alone. However, you can serve this with a nice salad, risotto, or over a little angel hair. It also tastes great the next day for lunch.
I also want to point out that I used 3 chicken breasts, because that is all I had. You can easily use 4.
Of course, I forgot my camera so this picture was taken with my sister’s iphone. Sorry, about the quality.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Slice tomatoes in half. Then mix together, in small bowl, tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and basil. Let marinate for a couple hours or longer - you can even let this marinate overnight. In my opinion, the longer the better.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Pour the tomato mixture over the chicken. Use your hands and make sure it coats all of the chicken.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
Make Ahead Instructions and Freezer Cooking Instructions
This recipe cannot be frozen. However, you can make the bruchetta ahead of time.