Sweet potatoes are my new food obsession. Ever since I discovered they can be easily made in the slow cooker, my brain has been on overdrive thinking about sweet potato recipes.
Of course, sweet potatoes are delicious as a side with a little butter and brown sugar but I am assuming you would like me to think a bit more creatively when it comes to new recipes 🙂 Also, many of you have ask me for more vegetarian make ahead meals so with that in mind I decided to think beyond basic sweet potato side dishes.
For my first sweet potato brainstorm I decide to stuff it with a spicy black bean mixture. In the food blog world, I have seen plenty of recipes using sweet potatoes and black beans together so I decided to give it a try.
This recipe was a cinch to put together and included ingredients I already had on hand in my pantry and refrigerator. The potatoes cooked in the slow cooker so I did not need to worry about carving out an hour of baking time like I used to. The black bean component took about 20 minutes to throw together. I started with sautéing some onions and garlic in olive oil then stirred in chili powder, cumin, and coriander. I loved the aroma of these spices as they started to bloom. Then I add a can of black beans (drained) and 1 cup of spicy salsa. I let that cook for about 10 minutes or until the beans were warmed through. I divided the mixture between the potatoes then added some plain greek yogurt, chopped cilantro, and little shredded Mexican cheese.
I absolutely loved this recipe! The spiciness of the black beans went perfectly with the sweetness of the potato. So good. It is full of good carbs, fiber, and protein so I was completely full and satisfied after eating it. And it is only 334 calories and 8 weight watchers points plus per stuffed potato.
To make this Spicy Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potato recipe easier you can make the black bean mixture ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Warm it up on the stove or microwave then stuff the sweet potatoes when they are done.
- 4 baked sweet potatoes I "bake" mine in the slow cooker
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 of a white onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 15 ounce can black beans drained
- 1 cup spicy salsa or any salsa you prefer
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican Cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In a medium pan sauté, over medium heat, onion and garlic in the olive oil. Once the onion is translucent stir in chili powder, cumin, and coriander, Let the spices cook for about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in black beans and salsa. Cook until beans are heated through.
- Slice sweet potatoes down the middle. Divide black bean mixture among sweet potatoes.
- Top each stuffed sweet potato with 2 tablespoons greek yogurt and shredded cheese and 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro..