My family is taco obsessed. No joke. They could probably eat tacos 7 nights a week if I let them. I won’t complain too much though because taco meat is simple to prepare, can be made ahead of time, and I can easily slip in healthy ingredients without them batting an eye.
Muuuuaaaaahhhh. Mom always wins.
Perfect example is this new power taco recipe I whipped together last week. I am calling this power because it is filled with lean turkey, black beans, and quinoa. Lots of lean protein and fiber wrapped up in this pan of spicy tasty Mexican-inspired deliciousness. You will feel nourish and satisfied after eating instead of bloated and gross.
To keep it low carb I scoop my portion into a lettuce wrap but it’s also very good in tacos shells or on nachos. Basically, eat it the same way you would regular ground taco meat.
Let’s break down the recipe.
I started with ground turkey. Ground turkey is a great way to reduce fat and calories in tacos. With all the spices and condiments you can’t even tell the difference. I cooked it in a little olive oil and broke it into small pieces as it cooked.
Then I stirred in the spice packet, black beans, diced tomatoes, green chills, 1/2 cup water and brought to a boil.
Once it started to boil I reduce the heat and let the ground turkey mixture simmer for about 10 – 15 minutes.
Then I added 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa.
I try to keep a couple cups of cooked quinoa in the refrigerator or freezer at all times. It provides a great nutritional boost for many recipes. Try adding it to soups, chilis, meatloaf, and other ground meat recipes.
The last thing I did was stir in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and juice from 1/2 a lime. Mmmmm so good! I love adding these two fresh flavors to mexican recipes. It provides a great pop of flavor.
If you are trying to keep carbs at bay then do what I did and eat it in a lettuce wrap. I topped mine with avocado, extra cilantro, a little cheese, and plain greek yogurt. I absolutely loved it.
This recipe makes about 8 (1/2 cup) servings so if you have leftovers just freezer for a future easy peasy dinner.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 1.13 ounce packet Simply Organic Southwest Taco Seasoning
- ½ cup water
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 10-ounce can rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilis
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- Lettuce leaves
- Shredded Mexican cheese optional
- Chopped avocado optional
- Cilantro optional
- In a large sauté pan, on medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add in the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Break apart the meat as it cooks.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, water, diced tomatoes, and diced green chills. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 -15 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cooked quinoa.
- Serve in lettuce leaves with with your favorite taco condiments.