I have been dreaming about this oatmeal for about 2 weeks now. In my head, I was creating the recipe, but not until this past weekend did I have the opportunity to put it together.
Chunks of apples and the warm apple pie flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice make up this hearty comforting oatmeal. At first bite, this apple pie oatmeal was exactly as I imagine it would be. In fact, it is exactly what oatmeal should taste like.
I put the apples in at the start of the recipe which resulted in a soft but still slightly crunchy texture. I added a tablespoon of chopped walnuts for added crunch. It was so good and gave me a warm fuzzy feeling as I ate it.
As with my coconut steel oats recipe, I left the sugar out and sweetened each bowl individually with 2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup. In my opinion, this lends the perfect amount of sweetness for a morning bowl of oatmeal.
I also found that steel cut oats reheats wonderfully and this recipe, in particular, tastes even better the next day. So make a batch and stick it in the refrigerator for an easy healthy breakfast throughout the week.
You can use any type of apple for this recipe. I used red delicious apples because that is what I had on hand.
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 apples, skinned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ nutmeg
- ⅛ allspice
- ⅛ salt
- 10 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter and toast oats until golden and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add hot water and chopped apples. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally so it does not burn on the bottom.
- Stir in milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for about 3 minutes. Divide among 5 bowls and drizzle each one with 2 teaspoons of maple syrup and 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
You can also freeze this recipe. To reheat place in the microwave for 4-6 minutes or until hot. Stir at around 3 minutes and add milk if needed.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!