One of the easiest ways to bring a smile to my husband’s face is to surprise him with a BLT. He has this obsession with bacon that I am positive is not normal. Seriously, he can be in the worst mood and just the smell of bacon in the air can bring him to his happy place once again.
Anyway, I never announce that we are having BLTS I will just start cooking the bacon. Within minutes he – along with our dog -will make their way into the kitchen as the aroma of bacon starts to fill the house. It really is quite funny.
I have to admit I like BLT’s too. Not only are they extremely tasty but these classic sandwiches are probably the easiest meal to pull together.
This time around I decided to bulk up our BLT’s a bit by adding a few slices of avocado and using a crusty chewy ciabatta bread.
Oh my! This was delicious! The bread does add to the overall calories so you use different bread if you would like fewer calories. However, if you have calories or points to spare then go the gourmet route and pick up a loaf of ciabatta bread. Do it! You will thank me for it later 🙂
Of course, if you prefer turkey bacon you can certainly use it. Because I love my husband dearly I only use good ole pork!
I made this sandwich using the whole loaf of bread. It was ginormous! I cut it into 5 servings but you could probably get 6 or more servings if you do not mind smaller portions.
Don’t you just want a bite?
- 12 strips of bacon
- 1 large loaf of ciabatta bread
- 4 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2 – 3 medium tomatoes, sliced thick
- 8 -10 romaine heart leaves or any crunchy lettuce
- Cook bacon in oven at 375 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Slice ciabatta bread in half. Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the bread. On the bottom part of the bread layer the ingredients (bacon, avocado, tomatoes, romaine hearts) onto the bread. Put the top piece of the bread on the sandwich then slice into 5 servings.
Make Ahead Tips
Bacon could be made ahead of time and then just warmed up in microwave when ready to make. Avocado and tomatoes can be sliced ahead of time.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!