One of my favorite salads is antipasto salad. Filled with Italian meats, cheese, and marinated vegetables it’s delicious, comforting, and the perfect lunch to look forward to all morning long.
A classic antipasto is not exactly on the lighter side. In fact, it pretty easy to bust the calorie bank with a plate of meat, cheese, and veggies soaked in Italian dressing. Just saying.. it’s good but maybe not the first salad we think to reach for when trying to eat healthy. However, with preparing your own antipasto salad you control the ingredients and portions making this Italian classic a feasible option for lunch or dinner.
Whenever I use deli meats in a recipe I always use the highest quality, preferable organic, deli meats. Most grocery stores have a high quality brand available. If you are not sure just ask someone that works there. Of course, it will cost a little extra but in my opinion it is worth it.
You can make your own salad dressing. I decided to use Newman’s Own Olive Oil and Vinegar salad dressing. It is our favorite and works perfectly in this antipasto salad.
For the vegetables I used cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers as the base. I did not purchase marinated artichoke hearts because they would already be marinating in the dressing. They turned out delicious!
Then as with any classic antipasto I included roasted salami, pepperoni, ham, turkey, and provolone. Oh mama it was good.
I ended up topping this salad with arugula. Orginally, I wanted to use romaine lettuce but my grocery store was out. But I must say I loved the arugula. In my opinion, arugula with it’s peppery flavor adds a nice kick to any salad, this one included.
This low carb high protein antipasto mason jar salad is 347 calories and 9 weight watchers points.
If you have any “how to” mason jar salad questions please check out my tutorial.
- 5 quart size wide mouth mason jars
- 7.5 tablespoons Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing (I use Newmans Own)
- 1 quart cherry tomatoes (about 10 tomatoes per jar), sliced in half
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 3 jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- 15 pepperoncini, stems cut off
- 5 thin slices of each (salami, sandwich pepperoni, turkey, ham, provolone cheese)
- 3 cups arugula
- Divide and layer the ingredients among the mason jars. Start with the dressing (1 ½ tablespoons per jar) then continue with cherry tomatoes, artichokes, roasted red peppers, pepperoncini, meat and cheese, and finish with the arugula.
- When you are ready to eat the salad just give the jar a shake and then pour it into a bowl.
These mason jar salads can be made up to 5-6 days ahead of time.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!