- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into small to medium sized chunks
- 2 cups chicken stock or use vegetable stock if you like
- 2 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons honey
In a small bowl mix together all the spices (first 6 ingredients). Set aside.
In a large dutch oven or soup pot heat the olive oil on medium. Add sweet potatoes and spice mixture. Cook until spices are fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
Add chicken stock, black beans, diced tomatoes, and honey. Bring to a boil then simmer for 40 – 50 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
Serve hot. This can be garnished with sour cream or plain yogurt and a little shredded cheese.
Make ahead tips
This recipe can be made completely ahead of time and frozen into portion for future meals. Use plastic freezer containers or bags.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 15g | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 7g