These last couple weeks, hubs and I were battle the aches, and this soup is exactly what we turned to for comfort. Nothing beats a hot bowl of chicken soup when feeling under the weather.
This is my mom’s recipe that I adapted for the slow cooker. This chicken soup recipe has only 6 ingredients making it a very simple soup to prepare. I was very grateful for this since I had no energy to put together anything extravagant – not that I cook extravagant even when I do feel 100%.
Serve this soup with grated Parmesan cheese on top and a thick slice of crusty Italian bread on the side. Oh and you must be curled up on the couch, while eating, to get the full comforting effect 😉
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1lb bag of carrots, peeled and sliced into chunks
- Small celery (7-8 medium stalks), sliced into chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 15ounce can tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Cooked small pasta shells (or any small pasta)
- Grated parmesan or romano cheese
- Lightly season chicken breast with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. Do not cook over 6 hours or chicken might dry out and/or become stringy. Please remember that every slow cooker is different so your cooking time may vary.
- Take chicken out and chop into bite size pieces (or shred) and place back into soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot over small pasta shells. Grate fresh Parmesan or romano cheese on top.
The slow cooker I used for this recipe is the Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker. To adapt this recipe for the slow cooker I use the tips and tutorials found in the Slow Cooker Revolution cookbook.
Freezer Cooking Instructions.
I have not had much luck freezing this recipe. Each time the chicken got stringy and the vegetables were mushy. If you make this I recommend putting it on your menu a couple times for dinner or bring for lunches.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!