Hi everyone! It feels great to be back! This past week my husband and I took our girls to Disney World. We had such a wonderful time and it was a much needed break for all of us.
Check out these Disney goodies! My kids were going nuts (and so was I).
Here are some quick food related tips:
- Eat a hearty healthy breakfast. If you go to any of the Disney parks hungry you will be sorry.
- Bring your own lunch and snacks like fruit, nuts, cheese and crackers. I packed some PB & J’s everyday that were great in holding us over until dinner.
- Research dinner options and restaurants ahead of time. Disney actually offers lots of healthy options – you just need the willpower to pick those over huge cinnamon rolls layered with caramel and icing!!
- Get a filtered water bottle. This not only kept us hydrated but saved us tons of money ( water is $2.50 a bottle in Disney).
I will expand more on these tips later this week.
We had such a wonderful time. However, it feels great to be home and get back to routines. I actually have been looking forward to putting together our menu plan. Even though I tried to keep some planning with our eating while on vacation I was not terribly worried about having complete meal planning structure. I mean I was on vacation and had no problem welcoming a break from structure and normalcy.
Okay onto my post vacation menu plan. Two things are influencing my menu this week. First the need for a mini detox of sorts. I am not going to lie I ate a few Disney treats. They were awesome at the time but now I feel very sluggish – almost like I have a Disney hangover. Second, I am going into this week with no freezer meals or starters. The week before leaving for Disney we completely emptied out our freezer. Therefore, this week is going to be filled with lots of salads, wraps, and simple healthy pizzas. Everything will be easy to throw together because I don’t have a lot of time to prepare foods ahead today. Today is all about unpacking, getting my house organized, and grocery shopping. Tomorrow, after work, I am going to take some time to prepare food for the week.
Next weekend will for sure be a “stock the freezer” weekend so make sure to follow me on Facebook for lots of updates and pictures.
Here we go.
Apple cinnamon steel cut oats – new recipe
Eggs and toast
Make ahead tips
- I am going to make a batch of the steel cut oats tomorrow morning for breakfast. Then I will keep leftovers in the refrigerator for the rest of the week.
- Eggs and toast will be made morning of. However, if I get time I might put together a few breakfast sandwiches for the freezer this week.
Chicken Caesar mason jar salads
Plain yogurt with homemade berry sauce
Cheese and whole grain crackers
Make ahead tips
- I am going to purchase a rotisserie chicken for the salads. All the salads will be put together today. I will post pictures on my facebook page when I have them done.
- Homemade fruit sauce will be made today.
- Cheese will be cut up today.
Black bean and shredded chicken tostadas – new recipe
Portobello mushroom cap pizzas – new recipe
Vegetable Naan pizza – like this one
Roasted tomatoes, pesto, and fresh mozzarella Panini – new recipe
Make ahead tips
Tomorrow night I will make the soup, cook up some Mexican shredded chicken, cook taco meat, and roast tomatoes for dinners this week. With all that prepared meals will come together nicely this week.
It feels so good to be back writing for all of you! Thanks for your patience last week as I took some time with my family.
What is on your menu this week?
Skinny Mom’s Kitchen participates in Menu Plan Monday hosted by the Organizing Junkie.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!