Over the last year I have become quite the expert in pantry meals. Actually, expert sounds a little too stuffy and official so let’s call me the pantry meal queen – yes that is much better.
Cooking from the pantry simple means creating recipes with what you already have available in your pantry, fridge, or freezer. It is a great way to use up leftover ingredients and save money on your grocery bill.
This super simple black beans and rice quesadilla recipe is the ultimate pantry meal. Every ingredient came straight from my cupboards and freezer with no need to go to the store and pick up any extra ingredients.
You might be wondering how I thought to make this. Let me tell you. Basically, as I was putting together my menu plan, I took a look at what ingredients I had on hand; then I searched the internet for inspiration and began to brainstormed different recipes. It did not take me long to think of black bean and rice quesadillas because there are only so many things you can make with black beans, rice, and tortillas. I already made burritos so this time I thought let’s try quesadillas. You see easy as pie.
These were so simple to make and perfect for a quick weeknight meal. To make this an even faster meal you can make the filling ahead of time. I have the make ahead and freezer directions below.
The burritos are very tasty and family friendly. You can adjust the heat by adding, reducing, or eliminating the amount of hot sauce used.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1.5 cups taco cheese
- Salt and pepper
- A couple dashes of hot sauce *optional
- 8 tortillas
- In a large sauce pan sauté onions in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes, black beans, and oregano. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add rice and cook for another 5 minutes. Flavor with salt, pepper, and hot sauce if using
- Divide mixture (1/2 cup each) and cheese (1/4 cup each) among 8 tortillas. Fold over.
- Place on griddle and cook until cheese is melted and the outside of the quesadilla is crisp.
Get Instant Access to My Best Weight Loss Tips & Strategies!
Sign up now for a free step-by-step 7-day email course that I created exclusively for my email subscribers! That's you. I will teach the best habits, strategies, and insider tips so you can enjoy a lifestyle that encourages and supports weight loss! Stop relying on willpower and take control back over your life! You can do this. Let me help!